Trans problem - 20 days over warranty - what should I do??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Bond

Reaction score
Took my 03 ST into the dealer right before the factory warranty was to expire (standard 3 year 36K warranty) and had a few things fixed. Two weeks later, I noticed the tale tale 2-3 gear slip or flair problem that many on this site have talked about. I took it back in thinking that since my ST only has 22K miles on it and it was only a couple of weeks since the warranty expired that they would still cover it. Nope. They say "sorry", but that my trans does have a problem with the internal valve body (based on tests that they ran).

Question for this forum is this: Is anyone aware of how to deal with this such that I get this repair covered under warranty? With my Honda, I could ask to have the issue elevated to the district service manager, and they weren't so concerned about missing the warranty by a couple of weeks or so. My ST only has 22K miles on it!!! - and from reading this forum isn't this trans problem a common one?? What should I do??? Do I have any options?

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost a cylinder in my engine 2 months out of warranty and they took care of it, I just pressed them. I think the same as what you did with your Honda will work. I just pressed them.

You are under-warranty mileage wise. I know that doesn't make a difference, but I feel that it should. Certain parts and systems should be rated by mileage, others by years, IMHO. For example, after 38K miles and just over 2 years a multi-function switch went. That's the kind of part that can only have so many pulls and pushes to it, and that's based on times used, which is more of a duration, not a mileage thing. This problem was with a GM Impala, and the dealer that sold it to me wouldn't cover it. They lost my business that day.

My first ST tranny started slipping at 36000 and a few, which is why I traded it for a new one. Second ST had valve body (EPC, ECV, some acronym???) replaced at 12K.

Anyway, I don't see how the dealership has any obligation - other than customer relations - to fix your problem. If you and/or your family relies solely on this dealer for many vehicles then maybe that will give some leverage.

Too bad it is a FRENCH transmission...
Guess this is why they keep on giving up.

grump

I am going to take my st in for the "end of warranty fix- up" and was wondering what the signs of the 2-3 gear slip are. Last time I had it in, they said the tranny fluid was a little dark, not bad - but to watch it.

what should I be looking for or what could I tell them is happening so that they might replace this. I dont want to end up in the same situation

I think I'm missing something here. Tim states
my ST only has 22K miles on it
and
, I don't deny being crazy but how do either of these constitute being out of warranty? Unless of course you bought it in '02 at which point, my point is null and void.

Anyhow, seeing how low the mileage is push the issue a bit, maybe call ford customer care. I agree with grumpy in that the dealer has no obligation but talking to ford may help you out. Can't hurt any.

Yes, I bought the ST in late 02, on Oct 26th to be exact. 36 months are just up.

Regarding what you should do just before YOUR warranty runs out I suggest that you take the ST in and tell them that your trans feels like it is slipping in between 2nd and 3rd gear, and that it revs up slightly before shifting, but that it does it only sometimes. Make sure they document that your brought it in for this condition. Even if you haven't experienced it yet, make sure they document it. They will check the computer and run some pressure tests, and they may determine that your trans tests out fine, but if it starts later after the warranty is out you may be able to get coverage since you have the document showing you brought it in before.

Make sure every cosmetic problem is reported to them before the original warranty is out. I thought I had done that but missed some sun fade on the top door panels of the front right door. They wouldn't touch it two weeks after the warranty is out.

Bottom line here is don't wait to the last minute like I did!! ;-(