Trans temp Gauge question ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Ok with the addition of the extra coolers and electric fan I added the coolant Gauge.

I was thinking I want a tranny temp Gauge as well, BUT my delema is I don't want gages climbing up the A pillar and I don't realy want more gages in the truck...

From research I found that I could simply add a sender to the tranny and using a Double pole single throw switch I can use my coolant Gauge to act as the tranny temp when I throw the switch..

Cool Idea I think..

OR just install another Gauge for the tranny ???

Thoughts ???

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd, I did this type of gauge mod using a Dakota Digital temperature gauge with a switch and a tranny temp sensor and an oil temperature sensor.

Take a look at the link below.

Al, yeah thats what i was thinking, Since I have no tranny issues and don't tow, I did not need the extra gauge....

The tranny filter is on order, so I will install the temp sender at the same time and install the switch in the mean time..

Todd Z

The switch thing will work if the gauge merely responds to the sender and the transmission and coolant temperature senders supply the same voltage to the gauge at the same temperature (one to one correlation). Don't know that they aren't the same, just a mention.

You may want to put an in-line diode on the wires so that you do not feed the sensor you are not reading voltage from the active sensor (aka circuit)...

Latest posts