transfer case not shifting (Gen 2)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPenny Peluso

V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
My 2007 V6 ST has tested me. When pushing the 4 x 4 switch, there is no indication, noise, nothing.

Can I get some idea on location of any fuse I should check, or test I can perform before throwing my wallet at it?

:banana:

Still have your owner's manual? Check that for fuse locations. I've never owned a 4x4 of any kind, but screening some YouTube videos suggests that control modules and transfer case motors are common failures. There's a Gen1 control module DIY in the Projects section of this here forum. You might also do an internet search on Explorer 4x4 issues.

I located the transfer case module, and two fuses. one in the engine compartment, the other in the interior fuse box. Both are good.

The 4x4 light comes on when the key is first turned on, but there is no flashing light, noise, or clicking when selecting 4 high or 4 low.

I checked connections on the transfer case motor, and module.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm guessing module?

:btddhorse:

No click suggests the module or electrical for it. It could be nothing more than a bad ground, but history suggests the module.

Did some research and could not locate the module 6L24-7H473-BB.

Fordparts.com listed the module by vin number. But first...

Before ordering, I was still not sure I checked all the boxes in troubleshooting. I pulled the center console face, to verify any issue with the transfer case selector switch.... and found the problem.

About 4 years ago, I had a aftermarket Stereo installed by Car Toys. They did not plug the harness back in to the switch. Guess we don't use 4x4 very much. Work like a charm now.

:banana::banana:

So ... engage the 4WD each month to prevent frozen parts (you would have found this shortly after the install).

In any case - good for you!

Good find! In mine I can feel the 4wd engage about once a month. If I'm pulling out into traffic and the rear tires roll through some sand or goes across one of those thick painted lines the rear wheels will chirp and I can feel in the steering wheel the vibrations change slightly.

Latest posts