Transfer Case Slow to Disengage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob R

Reaction score
Hi All,

I put the Trac in 4wd once a week for about 20 sec. (going straight)just to make sure that the motor won't freeze up. This time when I put it in 4wd. it was just before a stop light. I put it back in 2wd. and stopped for the light. When I took off, I thought that I ran over something. It made a bang sound under my feet and shook the truck. I figure that it was the transfer case binding. This has never happend to me before. What do you think that the problem is? When you go from 4wd. to 2wd. shouldn't it disengage immediately? 2001 job 2

Thanks for any help.

Bob

There was one night when I shifted from 4wd into 2wd (coming from a snowy area to a non-snowy, dry road), when I shifted out, it took about 7 MILES before it finally went back to 2wd. I don't quite think that would be considered "normal" behavior. It SHOULD disengage relatively quickly, but mine didn't always.

I am not sure about the Jeep, but I know GM trucks had a shift-on-the-fly lever. In all actuality, it was a switch like the Ford system is. The switch was the lever.

Tom

If you shift into reverse and back up about ten feet you should eliminate any windup in the driveline and then the transfer case will disengage more positively.

Oh, the memories... My father had a Chevrolet K5 Blazer back in the 80s. When we'd get to the bottom of the mountain from our cabin (which was off of old logging roads, etc.), it seemed like he's have to reverse it for a good 100 feet before the 4 Wheel Drive would disengage. :)

Reading the owners manual is says that a clunk heard or felt is "normal" operation...

Ouch!

Todd Z