transmision fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha folks, I had the trans fluid and filter replaced about 15k miles ago, don't know if he flushed or drained the torque converter or what. I looked at it last week and it was clear and bright so does that mean it is ok, or how do I know when to change it? It gets only short trips, less than 20 miles at a time.
thanks, God bless Ed

Living in HI, guess you can't easily take a cross country road trip with hours at 65mph or higher!
If you're not having Tranny shifting issues, with ATF bright+clean red
& at proper level on the stick after warm up, I'd not worry about it.
Don't believe there's a way to drain the 3~4qts in 5r55e TorqueConvertor, short of removal+disassembly.
I would try to get vehicle to highway speed for a few minutes once a month, to keep the "arteries" clear.

With the V6~4.0L~SOHC Engine + 5r55e Tranny I've got here,
Tranny service is part of routine maintenance,
so I handpump+refresh ~1qt of MerconV fluid at the Tranny DipStickTube
along wth the Engine Oil+Filter change every 6mths Fall+Spring.
Also handpump+refresh ~1/2qt of MerconV at the Steering Reservoir,
& handpump+refresh the DOT3 fluid at the Brake Reservoir.
Doing a Tranny Drain+PanDrop+FilterChange every 6Years\67kMiles with 6~7qts of MerconV Drained+Refilled,
I figure this routine is equal to or better than a onetime flush of the total 10~11qts,
keeping it on a schedule with minimum"trauma" to Tranny internals.
I've read some commercial shop Tranny flush machines may cause more problems than they solve.

I replaced my 4x2 pan with the deeper (dorman) 4x4 pan w/drainplug and 4x4 filter.
I also install a external filter. I have a project in the wayback machine, from the old web site. I dump the pan and and change the external filter. At least once a year. I drop the pan every 3rd time, for the internal filter. I don't trust the flush machines.
I have cut the external filter open. It doe's catch sediment that the internal filter misses.
I'm going to try and attach the link to my project.

Thanks folks, I think as Dillard says, replace a quart or so transmission fluid and maybe ps reservoir every oil change. 2-3 months or 2-3k miles.
God bless time is short

Cant drain the ST converter.... Only thing is a full flush..... not dropping the pan.

I replaced my 4x2 pan with the deeper (dorman) 4x4 pan w/drainplug and 4x4 filter.
I also install a external filter. I have a project in the wayback machine, from the old web site. I dump the pan and and change the external filter. At least once a year. I drop the pan every 3rd time, for the internal filter. I don't trust the flush machines.
I have cut the external filter open. It doe's catch sediment that the internal filter misses.
I'm going to try and attach the link to my project.
Where did you get the Dorman pan ? Went to Rock Auto but couldnt find it.

Thanks...cant find the right pan for the 8cyl 6-speed tranny anywhere

Thanks...cant find the right pan for the 8cyl 6-speed tranny anywhere
Mustang, F150 all same 6r80 /6r60 may have cross member issues but a grinder fixes that.

Thinking to try a tranny-shop to install a DRAIN-PLUG into my pan...maybe also have them do the DROP/FILL/FILTER.
Anyone do this ? Cost?

Latest posts