Transmision Flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100% flush with the Special LV Ford ONLY fluid. No.......

IF a shop is doing it with universal fluid, YES. run for the hills...... Don't use Universal fluids in a ford tranny..... your asking for trouble...

Todd Z

This is what worries me. How do you ensure they are using the correct fluid? I find it hard to trust shops/contrators now-a-days. I do all my own work for everything but there just some things that require a shop with specialized equipment.

Full transmission fluid service was one of two times I've gone to the Ford dealer for work. See link.

Included 20 qts. Motorcraft fluid, filter, and gasket for $200. Other time was for two spare PATS keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drop the pan, change the filter, refill with MERCON LV ATF4 fluid. Does the job and you don't risk other problems that flushing can cause. Do it your self, and you will know exactly what went in your transmission.

I agree with Todd Z, Insure you are getting 100% Mercon LV ATF 4 combatible fluid, not a universal fluid. $195 sounds too high, and should not cost more than $150 at the most!

I would also recommend that the fluid be a brand name synthetic fluid and not some Shop branded fluid like Jiffy Lube, K-mart, etc.

I had my transmission flushed at a local Kwik-Lub shop and they used a 100% compatible synthetic from Pennzoil, and it worked great.

I disagree with Gavin, that you risk other problems by flushing. Actually you are at greater risk of fluid leaks when you drop the pan, and that only changes about 50% of the old contaminated fluid. A flush will replace about 98% of the old fluid, and since you do not have to drop the transmission pan, your risk for causing problems or leaks is ZERO!

Don't believe any crap from shops that claim to "Back Flush" the transmission. That is not possible and probably means their service is hyped for more profit....Walk, or run away from any shop that hypes their service with lies!

Another added note to a transmission flush: Do not let the shop put any cleaners or snake oil additives while doing the flush. Your transmission is designed to run on a fluid with specific manufacturer specs. Nothing else is needed and anything else added is just added profit for the shop, and may do more harm than good.

Most shops will let you bring your own fluid...... If I have a shop do it, I buy 1-2 cases and bring it to them. a pan service on the v8 is a good 8 qts...... Flush will be double that or more.

Todd Z

If you have the time, get a buddy to help you and do it yourself. I plan to drop the pan and replace the filter, then flush from the tranny lines with Amsoil tranny fluid compatible for our Fords. This way, I know EXACTLY what went into the tranny and having the service manual, I can torque the pan down to EXACT manufacture's specs.

On my Gen 1. I replaced the internal filter and installed a drain plug. I just go thru about 3 pan drains. Never flushed it. I also installed an external filter that I change @ 10k miles. I use a motorcraft FL-1A filter. I have cut 2 of them open. It definitly catches' wear material the internal filter misses...

I use motorcraft fluid and it stays a bright red, and no burnt smell. I dont expect to ever loose the trans. Maybe after 300k...LOL

Latest posts