transmission 2-3 shift help?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Krusich

Reaction score
I just replaced the valve body in my '01 Job 2 SportTrac. I continue to have a significant upshift 'flare' in the 2-3 upshiftt. It disappears for abot 200 miles after I disconnect the battery. However it gradually re-occurs. What am I missing?

You probably should have replaced the solenoid pack as well. That's what acutally make the transmission shift gears. If they were sticking in the old valvebody they become weak, they are probably too weak now to function properly. You may get by just replacing the 2-3 shift solenoid.

Also, Sport Trac trannies are know for leaking valvebody gaskets. I know Ford came out with a modified valvebody and gasket, but perhaps you got an older one??

If the previous problem was 2-3 shift flare and it was allowed to go too long, you may have damaged the clutches/bands, and that requires a complete teardown and rebuild.

...Rich

The computer goes into a "stock" mode and then learns the way the internals are working...

Todd Z

Latest posts