Transmission does this wierd thing.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john c 4

Reaction score
My wifes sport trac (Late 01 with 57,000) rarely does this thing that when you put it in gear to reverse out of the garage that it hesitates for a second then starts backing up. Kinda surgy but not rough. just a pause then go. We've had the fluid changed around 35-40K and this has only happened a handful of times.

Any idea's what it might be?

That is the slow reverse that is a common problem, the correct thing to do is replace the shift solenoids and do the valve body update, about 800 bucks.. You could simply try upping the EPC pressure as per one of the projects, that also helps

Todd Z

This is a common issues of the ST tranny along with the 2nd to 3rd mis-shift. This site has good info on replacing the solenoid that is typically the problem and how to do it. Unfortunately if you go to the dealer the typical response is "could not duplicate problem" or "you need a tranny rebuild".

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks everyone. I guess it's time to start saving some $$.

How long could I safely let this go for? It has happened maybe 3 times in 9 months.