Transmission - engine braking problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lotze

Reaction score
Earlier this summer I took my 2001 ST to Northern Nevada for a convention and did some 4-wheeling in NV, UT & CO. ( for pics see my webshots member photos: Fordtractor8n ) While off-roading in 4wd, I found out to my dismay I had no engine braking in 1st gear with the automatic shifter on 1. However if I selected 2, I had braking but of course at a much higher speed than I wanted going down some steep slopes. I nearly burned up my brakes a couple of times. The tranny seems to shift normally ok up & down. I have about 65k on the truck and have used it off-road before this year without this problem. Is this a serious problem or is it something in the shifting that can be easily adjusted?

Have you had a flush/fill done on your tranny lately? I found that that alone improved a lot of the problems I was having.

I do believe that this was a common problem on the early model, there was either a recall or a TSB out on this issue. Try searching way back and see if you can find some info. If not Richard L. knows some info about this.

Here ya go, I found it. Hope this helps, sorry to say but it wasn't a recall, just a TSB. Hopefully it won't cost you too much.

Olaf is correct. Many early 2001 and even 2002 transmissions did not allow for engine braking. Since most people don't usually down shift the automatic unless going down a steep grade, most people never knew of the problem.

If you are out of warranty and don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed unless you live in hilly or mountainous country you may choose to live with it. If you have the ESP warranty, then you may want to pay the deductable to get it fixed.

...Rich

Thanks for the info. That's TSB describes my problem. I will take it to my dealer and see what it will cost me. I hate not having that 1st gear braking ability, especially since I like off-roading.