Transmission Failure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Roof

Reaction score
My 01 ST transmission was rebuilt after failure at 66,000 miles. I had not replaced the fluid so that may have added to the problem but I doubt it. It has never been off-road and is drived by an old guy... It is tough to justify buying American when there are so many failures.

:angry:

The transmission is Manufactured in France....

I think it is the design to keep the St shifts to feel like a car and not more like a truck, so ford backed off the pressures in the tranny causing the failure....

Or the tranny is just a piece of junk...:lol:

Todd Z

I just got the O/D light of death this afternoon. I'm right at 47K and I'm taking it in to the dealership tomorrow. I'm hoping its not a complete loss.

Q,

Ford gives a bumper to bumper 3 year 36K mile warranty just like GM, Chrysler, and most other auto manufacturers.

What they need to do is recall all the transmissions and fix the solenoids and valvebody.

...Rich

The transmission on my first ST started surging at 32,000 miles. Ford claimed to not be able to duplicate, so I traded it in on my new ST. I'm at 38,000 on that one with no issues.

66,000 miles is a lot of miles to have no transmission fluid change...

Ford gives a bumper to bumper 3 year 36K mile warranty just like GM, Chrysler, and most other auto manufacturers.

What they need to do is recall all the transmissions and fix the solenoids and valvebody.

...Rich

Mazda gave a 60,000 bumper to bumper warranty. That is why I bought B-4000s instead of Rangers.

I was told by a NASCAR/Boat engine builder to have the 5R55E tranny fuild changed every 20,000 to 25,000 miles for extra life. He was able to pull 400,000 miles out of his 5R55E Explorer Sport before it blew up.

My 2001 ST transmission was flushed at 25k and 45k but still failed at 52k !!! It is a known problem and Ford has a updated value body but this will cost a extra $740.00 on top of the repair.Again it is a design problem and not a neglect issue !!!