Transmission Fluid Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Hart

Reaction score
I am about to change my Transmission fluid. Do i need to use the Motorcraft fluid from Ford? I guess i am asking if anyone has had any problem with after market brands with the same specs as what the manual calls for?

Also i have noticed that the parts book has filter and gaskets for two types of transmission pans. One is deep and the other is shallow? How do i tell which i have?

IMO, I would use the motorcraft fluid. Especialy with only a pan dump. Our transmisions have enough week points. I wouldnt mix it with another brand.

I did a pan dump at about 40,000 miles, changed the filter, and re-filled with Penzoil Merc-V. Haven't had any problems yet.

Odometer now show's almost 86,000 miles, and I'm getting ready to do the same thing, but might add the 4X4 pan for a little more fluid capacity.

Mercon-V is Mercon-V regardless of who makes it, and they can all be mixed. Don't confuse that with some Universal Transmission fluids that claim to meet specs for all transmissions, I have my doubts that they are truely universal.

I have always gotten a transmission flush on my two ST's. I go to a local Kwik-Kar Lube center that uses Pennzoil Mercon-V that is 100% synthetic. Synthetic fluid tolerate more heat before they are damaged and heat is the enemy of automatic transmissions.

...Rich