Transmission fluid, filter, gasket '04 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Mechanic recommended replacing transmission fluid, gasket and filter, as well as rear "pumpkinhead" gasket (no drain plug) and gear oil. Said transmission service kit will have gasket/filter. I have almost 35,000 miles and I know the Scheduled Maintenance Guide is for 30,000 miles to "change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid on vehicles equipped with AX45, 4F50N, 4R100, 4F27E" (not sure what those are, perhaps transmission codes?). Anyway, is the transaxle they refer to the rear pumpkinhead that he refered to? Any recommendations on transmission fluid, gear oil, and auto parts stores to buy kit from would be appreciated (I'm in San Diego). Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
dbk,

The transmission fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles to be safe.. These (AX45, 4F50N, 4R100, 4F27E) are transmission models. The sport trac is the 5r55e, which isnt mentioned there, but many will say and i believe that you should change it ever 30k...I believe the rear end gear oil should be changed every 60k, but it wouldnt hurt to do it now, while you have it in there. Also, if your doing all that, if you have 4wd, change the transfer case oil as well.

One of the many things i've learned from Todd Z is what fluids to use. For the transmission, i wouldnt use anything other than motorcraft mercon V. Nothing else worked correctly for me... But, if your not goin to use motorcraft, stop by your local ford dealer and get a bottle of the tranny additive for the 5r55e transmission. That was the additive for the shifting problems, and it will help bring non-oem fluids up to ford specs.

Good luck and hope this helped,

Andy

Andy, I have an 03 and was getting ready to do all of the fluids (4x4) and was curious if the additive is or can be used for my 03.

Thanks,

Marc

If you use Mercon v fluid you dont need the additive. The additive was only a recall for certain prodution dates, that had the wrong fluid from the factory. My opinion is if you use a name brand mercon v fluid you will be fine. Dont buy a fluid that says mercon v compatible.

I will assume that being from CA you have a 2wd truck....

Change the tranny fluid and filter, and you can do the rear diff if you have a NON limited slip rear every 30K or so....... IF it is a Limited slip then you have synthetic fluid and it is not recommended by ford to be changed until 100K miles, BUT I strongly recommend changing it at 60K...and don't forget the synthetic rear needs a special bottle of additive as well....

Also check the fuel and air filters..

Todd Z

Thank you. I'm not sure how to find out if I have a non-limited slip rear end, but I'll figure it out. As far as a fuel filter, was in Walmart (!) and asked if they had a fuel filter while I was getting oil, and they did. Or so they said. He looked it up in the Fram book, and I got one. As my mechanic was about to install it, he said it looked like it was the wrong one, end was wrong size. I'll do some research and post separately. Thanks.

Latest posts