transmission flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Toledano

Reaction score
Quick question about 60k transmission flush. I have not had the time to get my trac into the shop yet and now have 64k. Is that a problem or is it ok to do it a little later. Just wanted to know how important it really is at this point. Planned on getting it soon just wondering if I needed it done immediately. Thanks for any info.

Its alright too do it ALITTLE late but don't wait till you get to like 80K :D. Unless you've noticed anything different it should be ok.

This reminds me of the commercial with the guy driving to the hospital with his wife in the backseat in labor, but his vehicle hits 75K miles, so he stops right then and there to change the oil with new Castrol High Mileage for cars with 75K+ miles.

The wife and I keep agreeing that is something I would do :lol:

Just make the appointment now before 64 turns into 67....

WHAT IF YOU HAVE WAITED TILL 90M TO CHANGE THE TRANSMISSION FLUID.

I RELIGIOUSLY CHANGE OIL AT 3K WITH MOBILE 1 SYNTHETIC, BUT FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT FOR OVERLOOKING THE TRANSMISSION FLUID...

SUGGESTIONS??

James, from what I've read you should take this in two steps. Get the flush and drive around for at least several days and then do a drop pan and filter. The thought process is that the new fluid will loosen up some crap in the trani and you'll want to let this get caught in the filter before you change it. Don't skimp on this and leave the filter in, you may be very sorry down the road. The next time you need to do the service you can simply decide on a flush or drop pan job.

Tim

Has anyone used a synthetic tranny fluid? If so, what brand/type, and how has it performed? Amsoil claims that their Universal ATF is compatible with the OEM Mercron V. Mobil has a synthetic blend Mercron V ATF, and I've seen Royal Purple ATF, but it doesn't specify Merc-V, only Mercron compatibility.

I'm getting ready to flush mine, and was debating going synthetic, since I tow a travel trailer.

James, if I was in your shoes I would flush first to get as much of the old fluid out and then follow up with the filter. Trani fluid is known to have huge amounts of cleaners in it and you could be loosening up a bunch of crud in there. Think of your existing filter as sacrificial and follow up with a new one relatively quickly.

TT, the Royal Purple website has their MaxATF listed as Mercon V compatible, it's hard to find and I can't remember where it is. Wish I could find a full synthetic local here in Ct. I can't even find the Mobil semi. I seem to remember Redline has a full synthetic that will work also.

Tim

Latest posts