transmission gasket

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephane Bolduc

Reaction score
I will do a transmission oil change sometimes next week.

I already bought the filter (which came with a gasket) and the new oil.

Question : since it's one of those rubber gasket, does it mean that I should not use gasket silicon/sealant ?

Thanks Fred.

Mike, I thought about it and I am still undecided. I had my truck since July 4th 2000 and I barely have 65000 miles on it. So, on one hand it's not something that I will do often and I could screw it up, but on the other hand..... it would be nice to have, since I am planning on driving this truck until it dies (and if maintained properly, she might out-live me)!

It's probably easier than the spark plugs anyway. From the factory, they were so seized that I broke my swivel ratchet (okay, it was not a snap-on or mac, but still) and THEN, I broke the plug itself ..... good time! What should have been a 45 minutes job took me about 3.5 hours and my knuckles are still healing (over 10 days...).

Any recommendation on a drain plug ? Just a regular "autozone" drain plug with a decent gasket ? (Let me go read that project again instead of asking questions already answered).;)

Steph, with a drain plug you could drop the ATF from the pan and refill in abot 10 minutes. You might consider doing this every 15K miles or so since it will only be the cost of a couple of quarts of ATF and you'll be changing out at least 30%. That's got to be better than changing every 50K miles.

The gasket on the ST pan is a reusable gasket.... No need to buy a new one...

While your in there consider the EPC adjustment project...

Todd Z