Transmission gurus please advise !

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Flash

Reaction score
2002 sport trac 2wd job 2 I believe 103k - trains rebuilt some time

Ago 2500 fix. Prior to this issue had a 2/3 shift flare

Fighting a three week battle with the O/D light flashing. Started while on the interstate the tranny downshifted and freaked out. I call it hunting for gears, shifted through all fine but would freak out time to time. Average speed was above 60+ the first time. City driving was okay but after a few minutes of driving or when it would see 5th it would freak out.

Codes pulled were torque converter spinning faster then detected, sylnoids for 5th bad. That's what my mechanic said. His advice was to purchase a complete valve body with servos. DONE

new filter,fluid,and updated transgo valve body with sylnoids later my trac is still freaking out. Mechanic is now saying I need to buy a converter and try that.

Before I bite the bullet and spend more money trying to escape the rebuilt cost ,dose that sound like a sound and plan?

-drives fine and sees all gears ,but when it reaches 5thi it freaks out and flashes the O/D light. BUT still goes into over drive here and there.

Anyone have any suggestions or should I cut my losses, part it out and get a Tacoma?

Also, if I keep the O/D off the truck drives fine. As soon as I turn it On the truck and converter do some type of dance to see who can break free. It only happens once and still goes into every gear.:banana:

Maybe unplug the TC lock up plug and see what happens. IT sounds like something is funky in the tranny with OD/Reverse and or the converter.

Todd Z

Took a spin this morning to work. Mixed city and highway, 15 mile trip. Turned od off until I reached the highway around 60+mph. Turned od on and no issues. When I exited the interstate I turned od off and didn't have any problems.

When it dose its freak out and the light comes on it shifts super hard. I'm debating on buying a converter but at this point it's not getting cheap trying to band aide a cut that needs stitches

Maybe have a different shop look at it..

Todd Z

Beau,

It would probably be more helpful if you explained what "Freaking Out" means. It may just be a bad overdrive switch or solenoid, a loose/corroded connection or a damaged wire?

Another thing I have learned over the years is that when you take a vehicle to the shop for repairs, you need to make sure that they understand that you will not pay for parts or labor for repairs that don't solve the problem. It's easy to just throw new parts at a problem when someone else is paying the bill. A common ploy if a customer says the vehicle is not running right, is to say it probably just needs a "Tune Up"...and the customer agrees. Several hours and hundreds of dollars later, the vehicle does not run any better because the original problem was not fixed. Always insist that they fix the problem and not ask you to approve repairs before they have properly diagnosed the problem and are certain they have found the problem.

It is much better to spend a little more money and time on diagnosing the problem, than spending money on expensive parts or repairs that do not solve the problem.

...Rich

It has a new valve body and servos with all the updates 500 bucks later.

The converter isn't locking up I believe and its slipping when it hits speeds above 60mph it flashes and drops rpm. I'm guessing that results in the light coming on. It's. It slipping that I can feel and it goes into all gears. This morning I drove the interstate about 80 mph and my tach read 3k. I don't know if that's normal or not given my wheel and tire combo