Transmission Issue Anyone Aware of?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa Greenway

Reaction score
We just had the darned issue with our Sport Trac and was wondering if anyone else had noticed this. It's a 2002 (Entry model 4x2 Manual Transmission). We can't get the car in gear if it's neutral when we start it. If we start it in reverse it will not go into a foward gear. If we're driving around it will not go into reverse. We had this problem start awhile ago (when we were under 36K miles) and now we're at 41K miles. Anyone else seen or heard of this or have any idea if we have a warranty argument?

type "tranny problems" into the search feature. Click on message text, then search 180 days worth of post. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone here has had that problem. Doesn't sound like a common problem with the manual tranny.

Why didn't you document the problem while it was still under warranty. If you document a problem like that while under warranty, you have some amunition for Ford to repair it after the warranty has expired. Sometimes problems like that are hard to duplicate sometimes. If it is documented while under warranty, Ford is aware there is a problem and the dealer is unable to duplicate it. Once the problem becomes worse, Ford knew about it and will fix it.

As I said before, the manual has some problems. Unfortunatly, I do not remember anyone complaining about the problems you are describing.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Rodger and georgia had a similar problem? try a search for about a month ago.I think it had something to do with the slave cylinder. good luck

Lisa, Just some guesses, but I think they are educated guesses, as I use to be a

Certified Mechanic. (By the way, Welcome!!!)

One could be what they refer to as clutch cable stretch, not letting your clutch

fully disengage even though you have the clutch pedal fully depressed, due to

normal wear on your clutch cable. The other could be a need to adjust the clutch

cable (usually a part of routine maintenance on stick-shift transmissions) due to

clutch plate wear in the transmission. I make my diagnosis on the following:

You did say that you were "driving around". If your transmission were completely

shot, you would not be able to do this. The other part of this is, when the motor is

running it puts a load on the transmission, even though you may not be driving it

at the time, and this may make it harder to shift gears, (out of reverse to first,

first to reverse, etc...). In other words, start it in neutral, you only have neutral,

start it in 1st, or a forward gear you only have that gear-set, start it in reverse,

you only seem to have reverse. This seems to be the trouble you are describing.

These sound to me like symptoms of clutch wear or clutch cable stretch. If you

re-post to us on this website, I am sure that we can diagnose this for you.

Give us a little more info on things such as your driving habits, mileage on the

Trac, or do you pull a trailer, and this will help us in helping you. Tracnblack...

Lisa, just saw the post by tracnyak. If you do have a hydraulic clutch (re: the slave

cylinder) these would replace the problems as I have described with a clutch

cable but would give you the same symptoms. In this case, you would need to

check the system for air or excessive wear in the clutch.

It could be as simple as air in the line going to the slave cylinder. This is a cheap fix if so. Take it to a shop that has a "Power Bleeder". It is the same tool used for brakes, (as it is the same fluid).

One of two things is wrong. Either there is not enough stroke to fully disengage the clutch, (air in the line or defective slave cylinder) or the clutch is worn out.

The Power Bleed should cost less than $20.00. It is worth the effort as I really do feel that your issue will be solved.

That said. The air got in there some how...... You may have a defective slave cylinder that is allowing the fluid to leak past the seals. If so, the slave cylinder does not move as far as it should. So doing the Power Bleeding may be a temporary fix. It will help you diagnose the issue though.

The trac has a hydrolic clutch, not a cable. Changing out the slave cylinder requires dropping the tranny. If your going to do that at this stage, I would consider doing the clutch as well.

Lisa a bit more info would be helpful. Is there any clutch pedal pressure? Has the point of engagement of the clutch changed/is there any play in the clutch pedal? What was the warranty repair/what did the dealer fix?

You may want to talk to the dealer since you're having the same problem again. They may be inclined to help you out if it hasn't been too long since the last occurrence. The slave cylinder in the trac is one piece with the throw-out bearing and has had issues in previous years that use it. Our '02's are using an older model (if you haven't swapped it yet) of the slave that has been slightly upgraded in the past couple of years. Don't know what the big difference is but that's as per the dealer I've dealt with. Check you clutch master cylinder and make sure there's fluid in it.

At 41k miles you shouldn't have any clutch issues per se. Now if you like to ride the clutch, depending on how much/how often you will fry your clutch faster. If you've got play in the pedal i'm thinking you've got air in the system. Have you always had play in the pedal?

ok for whatever it is worth, I have had my slave cylinder go bad twice. it is an '02 with 140000 miles. but this is the only problem i have had with the ST. first time blew the seal in winter weather, second(according to dealer) my throwout bearing blew out and trashed the seal. after about two weeks of heartache i got the truck back.

Latest posts