Transmission problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ST started acting up yesterday. My transmission is slipping in first gear and makes a weird noise until it shifts into second and the noise goes away. There is no problem in second, third and overdrive but the problem is there in revers. Can someone help out.

Thanks.

Have you checked the tranny fluid level, and have you ever had a transmission system flush like BG? Many transmission places are willing to go for a test drive for free, you can get there 2 cents, then decide if it may be a more involved issue\cost.

I had a ranger several years back that developed some minor shift slipping (no funny noise), and the flush and fill almost took the slip completely away.

Best of luck. Doing any other tranny maintenance yourself without that specialized knowledge could be tough. Oh, have you checked to see if there is a Technical Service Bulletin (on tranny issues) for your year, make and model? I tend to check those first when a new problem arises, just to see if it is similar to one already reported and find out what the possible fix might entail...

I did check the tranny fluid level (Ok) but haven't done the flush. Once done and if problem persists I won't have a choice but to have it looked at by a pro. Thanks for your reply Joe M.

Keep in mind though if you do the tranny flush (could be $70-$100) and it doesn't help, that's lost $$ if you then have to have tranny work done, cause they'd drop the pan and replace fluid anyways...I'm just saying, especially in tough times. My first choice would be to have a reputable tranny repair place go for a test drive with you & then ask them a few questions. It may help you save the $70-$100 to go towards the tranny service if necessary. Just my additional 2 cents, plus I don't want to feel worse later. :banghead:

Good suggestion. I never had tranny or major problems with my vehicles. That's why I like this site, you can get suggestions and help without spending big bucks for nothing. Thanks again. :haveabeer: