Transmission Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read all the posts about the slipping at 2-3. This has been going on for about two weeks. AAMCO said that the tranny needs to be built for about $2000. I guess I am wishing but is there any other alternative than this. My ST is a 2004 and only had it 18 months. Unfortunately has slightly over 40000 miles.

Any and all help/comments welcomed.

Thanks.

Ditto. Especially the AAMCO part.

Question to the transmission guru's: Wouldn't the EPC adjustment help Chris?

My problem was a solinoid valve & a pressure switch, not a complete rebuild. Find a good tranny shop that will diagnose the problem and not just go right for the rebuild... I had mine done under warrenty...

Take a look a this discussion from explorerforum.com. They have a lengthy discussion on this issue and possible fixes. I'm not a transmission guy but if I recall correctly it had something to do with the fact that our 5R55E transmissions do not have a true second gear but simulate it. The disccusion talks about the possibility that one of the transmissions solenoids not functioning correctly screws up the simluated 2nd gear causing the funny shift between the real 1st and 3rd gear. There are also some descriptions and pictures of where the solenoids are located and how to change them.

hey sup..i hat this problem and i jus fixed it this week..i dropered the pan and did a epc adjustment...its easy to to we have it direction on this site on how to do it...good luck

As others have said, stay away from aamco...they always want to rebuild, even for the most minor repair...The only thing they have going for them is they are nationwide with warranty...

Chris,

The problem is caused by sticking solenoids that attach to the valvebody. They are accessable buy droping the pan on the transmission. Most repairs require replacing one or more of the solenoids and usually replacing the valvebody. Ford dealers will usually charge about $450 for parts and labor.

The solenoids control the shifting and If the problem is ignored the slipping will cause excessive wear on the bands and clutches which will need to be replaced, and that will require rebuilding the transmission which will run $2000-$2500.

...Rich

AAMCO IS GARBAGE! They wanted to rebuild my tranny when it wasn't shifting and higher rpms, i took it to my friends uncle who owns a shop, and he changed the fluid and filter, and it was fine! $125.00 verses $1500.00!! Go local...prolly as easy fix.

Andy

run faster my friend! you are still to close to aamco!

Long story short... bought an old chevy spectrum (isuzu i-mark?) from a guy going overseas for 100.00 cash that "smokes and will not shift very good". Called aamco for the free tow and free estimate. The tow truck could not have been at the shop for more than 10 minutes and I get "the call". "Mr Pierce, you need a rebuild--price is 1800.00" or some BS. I tell 'em to keep the car. Guy goes on.... didnt you just buy it? Yep--paid 100.00, lost the gamble I suppose. Well, he says, maybe we can just replace the modulator. So I ask.... that 'll make it smoke and not shift, correct? Yep he says. How much? He says 120.00 installed. So I think to myself, double or nothing, here goes. Do it I tell him. Drove the car for 3 years around South Philly and DC as a commuter car and never had anymore issues. Traded it in sight unseen for 200.00 towards a Neon so we could have AC.

Again... run from aamco as fast as you can.

Scott, all true.

And the sad part is that the chains/franchises SHOULD be able to provide a better, cheaper service than compared to the independents. That's what franchises are supposed to be good for; sharing the overhead and the investment that any independent could never afford, all so that the franchisor can reap the benefits.

But it doesn't work that way, unfortunately.

TJR

I heard a story years ago about a test some radio/tv/newspaper did on AAMCO. They took the vacuum hose to the vacuum modulator loose on a test car, and drove it in to several different AAMCO's in their area to see if they would just find the problem and stick the hose back on. Only one did. All the rest wanted to rebuild the transmission.