transmission problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg A

Reaction score
I was driving no problem, I stopped left the engine going, i then started back up and the truck

would not go above 40 km an hour or 25 mph. It would just shake at that speed. I then turned the truck off and left it for 5 minutes. I worked fine after that.

Anyone ever have this problem. 85000 km on it, I have an extended warranty.

Thanks

Greg

Gwac, sounds familiar to me. I had my tranny do that at 116 K on it, and it was diagnosed as several codes that dealt with the transmission. A few more people here on this site can probably give you a little more as far the deciphering of those codes could, so IIWY, I would go straight to the dealer or source that you have the extended warranty with. I wasn't driving mine at the times I had the OD flashing light, (it was parked at my residence and had been for a few days) and when I got into it and cranked it up, there was the flashing OD light. Consequently I had the dealer tell me that it was going to cost me a lot of money, so I waited a while and searched the internet and found a tranny that had 15000 K on it and bought , had it installed by another FORD dealer for a whole lot less than the other dealer wanted for a fix, something like $985 vs $2350. I'm not saying it is your tranny, but my ST did the hesitant thing and would not go very fast and was struggling and shaking when I did try to drive it. I let it sit and had it towed to get a read on it, and it was SHOT! So good luck, try to get it scanned and look for some help here at this site. Coastiejoe, Spaceman Spiff, and ToddZ and a host of others will chime in here in a little while to help you, that is a good thing about this site; you can always get help here.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, engine and tranny are controlled by a computer. Be advised that ALL computers, at some point in time, will have a clitch and will need to be rebooted to eliminate the problem. It happens with PC's, flight control systems in aircraft, the telephone system, etc. That's why critical applications have redundent computers. It is possible that that's all it was. For your own piece of mind, it would be wise to get a scan to see if there are any error codes stored in memory.

I agree with Bill. It's not unusual to start the Sport Trac and it runs very rough or begins to run rough while going down the road. Usually simply turning the key off and restarting the engine and the problem is cured.

My 2001 Sport Trac did that only once in the 3 years I owned it, and my 2003 Sport Trac has also only done it once in the past 2.5 years. I have also had a Dodge Caravan that did the same thing. Unless it occurrs more than about once a month, it's not likely the dealer will be able to fix it unless the problem causes an check engine light and leaves an error code. About all they might do is reflash the ECU computer with the latest programming updates.

...Rich

Would it make sence that it would not go above 25 mph, if it were a computer problem.

I have gone out 2 more times, no issue.

Thanks everyone

gwac,

Yes it does make sense. The engine and transmission are both controlled by the computer. If it gets confused it will usually limit the engine speed to prevent self distruction.

When the computer gets confused, most Sport Trac owner report that the engine looses power and barely runs. That would account for your not being able to go over 35 MPH. It may be that the computer refused to shift your transmission and therefore you could not get enougn RPMs on the engine to exceed 25 MPH.

...Rich