Transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Torres

Reaction score
The 2nd to 3rd gear shifting problem got really bad this morning but this time I also got a flashing "O/D Off" light. Took it to Kemp Ford in Thousand Oaks, CA and they found that it had some bad solenoids which they replaced. These guys rock!

Just two weeks ago I took the ST to Simi Valley Ford in CA for the same problem and they returned it to me without doing anything. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and the computer came back clean. Ironic seeing as I gave their tech the .pdf I got from a member on this site saying the 2-3 shift problem is caused by bad solenoids. I didn't give the guys at Kemp Ford the document (or even mention it) and they figured it out and fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
David,

I may have been one of the people who has stated that the valvebody and solenoid were the main cause of the 2-3 shift flare.

My only concern about your repair is that they only changed the solenoids. The solenoids wear out because the are trying to activate sticking fluid control valves in the valvebody. The sticking valves create a drag that causes the shifts to be slower and increasing slippage during the shifts, as well as causes the solenoids to work harder and eventually get weaker and weaker. That increases the slip between gears.

If they only changed the solenoids, it may resolve the problem for a while until the sticking valves weaken the solenoids again. I don't think this is a permanent fix.

I am getting an impression that Ford will replace the solenoids and/or the valvebody while the vehicle is still under warranty. Typical cost is about $450. However if your vehicle is out of warranty, then they will only suggest a rebuilt transmission at about $2500. If you have an extended warranty, they will usually replace the transmission, unless you are getting close the expiration of the ESP warranty/

...Rich

:D Good for you!

At least Simi Valley didn't quote you for a trans. rebuild...

In the past 2 weeks, I started feeling through the accel. pedal a very light grinding between 2 & 3 and then it's okay. Is that what you had ?

Where's that .pdf; is it a member project ?

That was my thought also Richard in that what is causing the solenoids to fail in the first place. Hopefully it's not a sticking valve in the valve body and the problem won't come back. I did buy the 100K mile extended warranty through Spartan Ford one of our site sponsors because I had this exact problem on my '98 Ranger. I couldn't find anyone (Ford dealers) included who could diagnose let alone fix the problem so I eventually traded the truck in on the ST.

Steph what was happening was in the transmission would stay in 2nd gear longer than it should during acceleration. You could hear and see the engine revving faster but it won't shift to third. Finally it would shift to 3rd gear but somethings by the time it did there would be a clunk noise when it hit third gear. It's an intermittent problem (3-4 times a week for the past 2000+ miles) but has been getting gradually worse. I can't remember who on this site I got the .pdf from but I'll upload it to my library so you can take a look at it.

Shouldn't 04s already have the improved valve bodies though? My Trac is going back next week cuz it has the flare again.

The service guy at Simi Ford (granted I not a fan of these guys) said that the '03 and up ST's already have the redesigned valve bodies. He told me there were no current TSBs from Ford on '04 STs about the 2-3 flare. Quite frankly I found that a bit hard to believe since a quick search on the web (and even this site) shows I'm not they only one having this problem. While I realize that many owners may never have this problem with their Explorers it seems to me that it's common enough where Ford really should know how to fix it. Especially since they've been using the 5R55E and 4R55E transmission on Rangers, Explorers and STs for 8+ years now.

Flip I'll take a look at the paperwork when I get my ST back to see what parts they replaced so that you can pass the info on to your service center.

DavidT, according to service invoice they did replace a solenoid. This was several thousand miles ago. Since the flare is back, even with the supposed improved valve body on our 04s, when I get the Trac back I'm gonna drop the pan and adjust the EPC valve to increase some pressure. Finally, reflash it with my XCal2 tuner and hope to never look back.

BTW, after I got my Trac back the first time this occurred, the flare was still there even after the solenoid was replaced. I had it flushed and it went away. In hindsight, I should've brought this up with them instead of paying for the flush. At the time I thought it was just bad left over tranny fluid, since it smelled kinda burned. Anyway, the flare went away after the flush but the fluid still smelled the same sweet yet bitter (hard to describe). I just ended up thinking this was the normal scent.

The service invoice says they replaced the EPC solenoid (XL2Z-7G383-AA), pan gasket and 6 quarts of fluid. On the drive home the flare was gone and it was definitely shifting better. We'll have to see how it goes after a few thousand miles. :unsure:

There are actually two problems with the valvebodies in our 5R55E transmissions.

1. The sticking valves that weaken and burn out the electric solenoids.

2. The valvebody gaskets are prone to leak. i don't know if the valvebodies warp or if there is some machining flaw, but they leak at the gasket. This also causes pressure losses, slipping and shifting problems

Ford has had these same problems with the 5R55E used in the Sport Trac, and the earlier 4 speed O/D transmission of the same design.

I think Ford looks at this transmission as an economic issue. If they admit there is a problem, they will have people lined up for miles and their reputation is marred, and if they recall and repair all the transmissions it will surely cost them many, many millions $$$$. Since the vast majority of the transmission problems occurr after 50K miles, these vehicles are out of the standard factory warranty. It cost Ford nothing, and may they make them money charging for the parts and the dealers make money on the labor, assuming that many people with bring their vehicles back to the dealer for repairs.

If you have the extended warranty, Then Ford stands some risk that they may have to pay to repair your transmission under warranty. This is offset by the fact that your transmission may fail after the extended warranty has expired, or they can make less expensive repairs like replacing the solenoids and/or valvebody, which may keep the vehicle running unit the warranty has expired.

...Rich

I just took my Sport Trac in yesterday for the same problem! It's an 01 with 37,000 miles on it. Took out the ESP when I bought it. The gave me a loaner,called me today and said they're replacing the whole transmission! Lucky me, the ESP runs out in Sept.!

Ned that's funny because it's exactly in line with that Richard said. Under factory warranty it's replace valve body or solenoid. Out of warranty or under ESP it's replace the transmission.

My 02 has the flashing O/D light and the slipping, i brought it in 2 weeks ago and because it wasn't doing it right then and there, they couldn't diagnose it, but now that i have put larger tires on do you think it will void the warrantee?????? i have the extended warantee, I put a 3 in body lift and 285/75/16 wheels and tires on