Trip Report

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor CAD

Reaction score
Just got back from a 1440 mile trip with my 03 Trac.

I had a kayak in the bed and enough gear on board for 6 days in the woods, including large quantities of liquids (good thing alcohol is light).

The trip was from the flatlands of South Carolina to the mountains of Pennsylvania, so lots of up and down. About 150 miles was back and forth to the lakes, streams and rivers in the Huntingdon area. I used 67.01 gallons of gasoline for a 21.5 MPG average.

One thing I need to look at is a wandering in the front end at highway speeds. What should I be replacing now that I turned 60,000 miles?

Doctor, the simple side could too much or too little air presure. The other, tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings or control arm bushings.

dr,

Your profile is not filled out so we don't know what you have done already...

You could need new shocks ( OEM) are junk, and sway bars.....

Could need front end work....

Todd Z

You could need new shocks ( OEM) are junk, and sway bars.....

Todd,

Does that apply to the '09 as well. I did change over the shocks on my '05 but wondered what the newer model suspension is like. I have not hooked up my boat to it. The boat is only about 2000 libs fully loaded.

Mac

I have replaced the shocks with Reflex's. Thats all for suspension. I filled all 4 tires to 35 psi before I left. It does not pull to either side and runs true when I let go of the wheel. It just wanders...

The only other things I have done are a K & N drop-in and a XCal 87 octane towing tune (which I will NEVER own any vehicle without one, thanks Torrie).

Just for fun, I was following 2 vehicles that obviously drive up the mountain road that we were on all the time. The first vehicle was an old Explorer 2 door and then a Cavalier or something like it. The mountain road goes from about 1000 feet to 2100 feet in a really steep and winding highway. They took off and I hugged the rear end of the Chevy at near 70 going up that mountain. I actually tucked inside the Chevy on one of the right-hand sweepers like I was going to overtake him. He didn't like that a 4000 pound truck could take him inside! It was fun. The towing tune kept the tranny working perfectly, never slipped or flared, just hard positive downshifts when it needed them and smooth positive upshifts when I left off it.

Guess I could have gotten better than 21.5 without that 2 miles of single-digit MPG!!!!!

LOL... cool deal....

Gerry,

NO the 07 and up is a huge upgrade from the gen 1...

Todd Z