Trivia Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

Reaction score
I was sent this in an email and thought it was interesting. Give it a shot. If you want to see the answer follow the link below to my library.

George

There are 7 girls on a bus.

Each girl has 7 backpacks

In each backpack, there are 7 big cats

For every big cat there are 7 little cats

Question: How many legs are there in the bus?

14 girl legs

+

196 big cat legs ~ 7x7=49 49x4= 196

+

2,401 littel cat legs 49x7=343 343x7= 2,401

=

2,611?

jesus.... i was off. hence why i was a history major in college and do very little in the numbers field! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this one a few days ago, without doing the math again, I think Joe is correct.

There are 49 back packs (7 girls with 7 backpacks EACH, so 7 x 7), with each back pack having 7 big cats, so that's 343 big cats (49 x 7, or 7 cubed)

Each big cat has 7 kittens, so that's 2401 kittens (343 x 7, or 7 to the 4th power).

2401 + 343 = 2744

2744 x 4 = 10976

10976 + 14 = 10990

Yup, Joe was right.

That many cats on a school bus, and that much weight on those little girls' back--simply negligence. What's the school's number? Or the bus company's number?

:)

10,990--assuming that none of the kids or cats are amputees. :lol:

It is also assuming that there are no other people or animals (or furniture, for that matter) on the bus that have legs. No where in the problem does it say whether there is a driver or any other passengers on the bus, or if there are any dogs on the bus, etc.

Who says the bus is moving? If the bus was driving down the road...sure, add two for the bus driver, but the bust could just be sitting in a parking lot somewhere, therefore, one cannot assume with any certainty that there is in fact a driver on the bus. If you're going to assume information, that there is a driver on the bus, then you could also reasonably assume that at least one of the cats is malformed or mutilated and is missing a leg. Given the large sample, it is perfectly reasonable to assume, and falls within standard deviation, that at least one cat will be missing at least one leg.

With the information given, there are 10,990 legs on the bus.

Tiger,

Again, I suspect its a trick question. Why else have them in a bus? The fact that they are in the bus, IMHO, isn't accidental (there is a meaning and purpose to that). It's probably there to imply there is a bus driver, and as a way to trip up people that forget to add the bus driver's legs. As I said, why else have them in a bus at all? It's not pertinent information unless one assumes there is a bus driver.

TJR

If you're willing to make the leap to include a bus driver, you must also be willing to make the leap that at least one of the cats is missing at least one leg. Why assume one "reasonable" variable but not another?

Correct Bartman. No matter how you look at the question in order to answer it you have to make assumptions, like:

1) All the girls and cats have all their expected legs (2 and 4 respectively)

2) The girls are carrying their bags onto the bus (it doesn't specifically say that).

3) The "For each big cat there are seven little cats" implies that the little cats are also in the bag.

4) There is, or is not a bus driver.

These are just a few of the assumptions.

TJR

Bill V, agreed...of course they all do, but the question doesn't tell you how many bus seats there are, nor can one assume they have two or four legs.

IMHO, the only valid answer is:

There is not enough information to answer the question.