Truck died on me while driving! would could it be?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Pierobon

Reaction score
Well yesturday I was driving the ST. Conditions were all windows down, radio on (DVD player type), farily hot out side, 38 degees, and honking the horn (festival was in town and my team won)

anyways i was going about 60klm/h and the trac just died. i looked up and the lights in the dash were on like when you have the key in and just want the radio on. so i put it in neutral, turned the key off completely, turned the truck back on and it started up like nothing happened, put it in drive again and kept going. since then it has been fine. also when the truck shut off it was incrediably hard to turn the steering wheel. it was like it was locked or something.

was wondering what it could be.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

patrick pierobon

Pat,

Do you have an aftermarket chip on the computer????

It could be the vacuum elbow cracking, or the IAC motor sticking....

Todd Z

I would check the common elbow and clean the IAC motor to start.....

How are your filters air / fuel...

And did you just fill with gas?

Todd Z

The difficulty steering was due to the engine being off and the power steering pump not working.

Same thing happened to my wife on a long trip down the shore. I told her to put some dry gas in the gas tank incase there was some moisture in the line. Never happened again but my cel came on a few days later and i had to change the DFPE sensor and replace the vaccum elbow. Good luck.

Put gas in a few days ago. drove about 80k since i filled up last. according to the gage on the truck. other then that. nothing out of the ordinary.

patrick

Put gas in a few days ago. drove about 80k since i filled up last. according to the gage on the truck. other then that. nothing out of the ordinary.

80k on a single tank of gas, and nothing out of the ordinary????

TJR

Was it Shell Gas? Those guys have been putting in a detergent causing mostly GM vehicles to stall. That was a major concern about two years ago, not sure if GM vehicles still have this issue, but i noticed today that Shell has a posting about Top Tier vehicle detergent fuel and I thought about your posting and had an idea about that this might be your problem.

Don Monkeyboy

To me it sounds like the common OBD-II "burp".

As for the steering geting hard, your engine shut off and your power steering pump won't run on its own without the engine turning the pump.

Tom

Latest posts