truck shuts off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave feola

Reaction score
hey folks, have an 02 st with 51,000 miles. every once on awhile after driving truck for 10 minutes, it will jsut die while driving it,luckily at slow speeds, any people have simliar issues and what was the fix ? also still have original tires , what mileage are they rated for ?

same thing happened to me. i cleaned the throttle body and the iac valve and took the airbox silencer out. it quit after that. the reasnn mine did it cause airflow shortage

My OEM tires started having traction issues on wet roads around 15,000 miles even though they had plenty of tread. I replaced them with Revos and never had any more problems.

Nelson,

So you are saying that Dave's stalling problem is caused by his TIRES???:lol: :lol:

Me thinks you may have posted your answer to the wrong thread.

Dave,

I think it may be your IAC since you are at low speed, you are probably running at idle with the throttle closed. The IAC controls the amount of air that gets into the engine when the throttle is closed. The IAC is prone to getting clogged up with gunk from the crankcase vent hose installed in the Intake hose. There is a project showing how to clean the IAC that should make it as simple and pain free as possible.

...Rich

Tire life depends on the maintenance, driving habits, and other factors of the specific

owner. You can have a 50,000 mile warrantied tire fail at 15,000 miles due to abuse,

and lack of proper maintenaince (checking the air pressure regularly), or ,as I had done,

have a 50,000 mile B.F.Goodrich All Terrain/TA tire go 78, 500 miles with proper maintenance

and air pressure checks!

Oh, and your original post... Yes, the I.A.C. valve is tricky on our 'Tracs.

It requires regular maintenance and cleaning, to avoid the "Rough Idle/Stalling Issues"!

P.S., Dave, You have WAY below average miles for your year of 'Trac!

May be time for a complete tune-up and maintenance, even though you do not have the

"100,000 Mile Interval" for your 'Trac, yet.

Also, an '02 'Trac with original tires may be facing a "Rubber Degredation" issue.

Regardless of miles, or wear patterns on the tires, after 5 or 6 years, the rubber compounds

can break down in the tires, causing all sorts of issues. The A.T.M.A. (American Tire

Manufacturers Association) recommends replacing the tires on a vehicle, regardless of

mileage, no longer than 6 years, depending on the weather conditions and climate in

your specific region of the country.

Tom, How many miles do you have on your 'Trac?

Mine is an '05 (July) with 22, 570 miles. (Yes, I drive a long distance to work!).

Tracnblack,

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, I have an '05 with 40,000 miles. Yikes! After seeing your post I really need to stay at home more!:p

I had the exact same issue with my 2003 at about the same mileage. I brought it to 3 different dealers and nobody could find anything wrong. The last dealer did something (not sure what) and it hasn't done it since.