TRUE cold air intake Temps VS a stock intake. RESULTS !!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Well today thanks to Mike a local LI member, We data logged his bone stock ST intake VS the Zabteck true cold air intake.

At the time of testing the out side temp was 32.

We tested 1 truck right after the next. The time of each test was 10 min.

the time in between tests was 5 min.

Both trucks were at operating temps of 180-190.

The Stock ST at idle and initial take off ran 52-58 intake temps.

Cruising at 70 they dropped to 42-44 degrees.

The True cold intake at idle and initial take off 46-48 degrees.

Cruising at 70 it dropped to a steady 34 degrees !!!!!!

I so wish I could test this on a 90 plus degree day .....

Just wanted to let the people that were asking know what the results were..

Todd Z

Great results. Thank you for taking the time to test that out. I will be looking into putting this on my list of things to do.

Todd, First of all let me thank you, Paul H and Mike for taking the time to run these test. I guess the questions I have now are; Is the approximate 10 Degree difference in temperature causing the engine to run just a bit richer accounting for the feel of more power? Were you able to measure fuel consumption? What is the cost of the conversion? If the stock system had a less restrictive air filter allowing more flow would it drop the temps any? Would removing the stock silencer make a difference? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks again guys.

Gene,

The engine will have more dense air and yes it will richen the mix, but since there is more air getting in the engine, the power and MPG increase will negate any extra fuel consumed.

I did not measure fuel consumption.

I think a less restrictive filter will not help at all.

Removing the air silencer will be worse, since it now will be allowing more air from the engine compartment and not extending past the rad to try to grab the air behind the head light.

this can be added to the factory system and any aftermarket system and an aftermarket MAF, also. MY kit would not include any piping from the MAF forward toward the throttle body, so people can keep the aftermarket intake.

The cost of the kit would be around $130.00 shipped...

Fast, I thought about that, But i think the engine bay temps will keep that from happening.

It would happen on the stock system in cold weather, but would need to be colder...

Todd Z

Fast, in the last month or so we have near zero temps part of the time.While driving to work my scangauge 2 has been reading the intake air at +2 to -2 degree's to the outdoor air temp and I have had no problems with the throttle body. I drive 5 miles to work everyday. This is a great mod to do. Gene, The decrease in air restriction brings the power and mpg up. I will tell you that the lower temps do bring down the gas mileage some. The last trip to Amarillo, which is 90 miles I only got 19.9 at an average highway speed of 68 or so, at night. The inlet temp was running at around 38 degree's. The trip to Amarillo before that I got 21.1 mpg at 73 or so, the inlet temp was at around 55 degrees. Todd, Thanks again for making a good kit. Also thanks to all who let him experiment. Also all these readings I am getting on mine are from my scangauge 2 for the inlet air and from my temp reading on the panel._Ron

Actually i believe the 07 has a hole into the side of the air box already going into the fender...

Todd Z

Pat,

I looked at gary's 07, it gets its air for the intake right in the front grill, You cant get a better location that that.

Sorry to disappoint ya!....

Todd Z

Latest posts