True competition for the Sport Trac (apples to apples)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
While competing brands have 4-door versions of their pickup trucks, Ford doesn't have a "crew cab" version of the Ranger (in the U.S.). Instead, they took the Explorer SUV, put an open bed on it, and gave us the beloved Sport Trac. No other brand (except the Ridgeline?) has taken their existing SUV and done the same thing...until now.

GM has taken the H3 Hummer and tacked on a pickup bed to it(unlike the H2 SUT). Looks real good to me on the outside, typical simple GM interior though.

I'm not trying to start a truck/SUV classification war here...I'm just sharing. Besides, I don't know if the H3 platform is based on a truck platform from Chevy/GMC. But then again you can argue that the Explorer was based on the Ranger. Oops, I started it...

From Inside line:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it! This may very well be my next truck, especially with the available 5 speed manual. Also, you can actually put a lift kit on it! The bed is also fairly large surprisingly (5ft). Very well done IMO.

Looks good, but I love my Sport Trac.

And by the way, 4 speed automatic? Seems kind of old and outdated,i mean almost every car has 5 speed automatic and correct me if im wrong the 07 Trac has a 6speed automatic.

A 3.7 engine but has 242 hp....if you ask me this sounds like a competition for Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon(similar engines, and transmission)

GeorgeT

I supose it has its niche. If you want manual shift you have to go with the anemic 5cyl motor. Since I dont off road I will stick with the ST, it has some style.

i wish these truck builders would bring out the smaller diesels again the old masda diesels was a great motor any one know why they went a way from that....

I second the diesel motor. Ford forever keeps hinting that they are gonna throw one in the f150's. I think if they did that it could boost them outa this decline they are in... big time.

not to jerk away from the intial point of this thread ~~ I like that hummer A LOT. It just says... growl.

OOOOH, I like it a lot in its V8 "Alpha" version. Thanks for posting the pics.

I don't plan on dumping my Trac for a long time, primarily for financial reasons (can't beat a car payment of $0), but I think a lot of people who are thinking of becoming first-time ST owners will take a hard look at this one as well.

Its not bad. My best friend's GMC Canyon has a 5 cyl and its actually pretty cool.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this hummer, but it has some redeeming qualities. I like the styling of the h2 pickup - even though it has something like a 3 ft box.

Latest posts