U-haul hitch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raser x

Reaction score
Anybody have comments on uhaul tube/hidden hitch? its 5000lb rated and only $119.95.

Thanks Raserx

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one and it rusted in spots within about 6 months on the FL air. Mine actually has "Valley" stamped in it--made by Valley hitches. Other than the cosmetic issue, I have had no problems with it.

U-Haul will take your money to sell you a hitch, but they will turn you away if you need to rent an Explorer.

Frankly, I choose not to support U-Haul. They can kiss my @$$.

Tom

Tom, I agree. I went round and round with UHaul Corporate Office and the local dealer after I bought my hitch and then they changed the rules to preclude them renting to an explorer. I tried to get my money back, but they refused. I would have thrown it through their window, but I didn't want to spend the money on a new hitch. :)

WOW! What a touchy subject...I just need something to tow the jet ski with. Maybe I should stick with the bumper mount.

Raserx:unsure:

RaserX,

There are many companies that make hitches for the Trac. Why not support some of those?

If you were of a certain ethnic background, would you support someone that is known to discriminate against you, or your people? Personally, if I knew of a store that discriminated against blacks, I would not support them.

I know it isn't a fair example, but it is an example.

Curt make an awesome looking hitch that can be painted to match your truck. Hidden Hitch and Reese also make hitches for the Trac. Support them.

Don't support someone that doesn't want our business. They don't have a problem taking our money to install a hitch, but arent going to let us use it on thier equipment.

Tom

The bumper ball will be fine for a single jetski. I used that on my first Ranger, the second one came with a factory hitch, so I bought all the junk to go with it. Since I already had all that then, I bought a Hidden Hitch for the Trac. Paid $119 at a local shop. Tucks under the bumper nicely, I like it.

I have the Hidden Hitch. It's been perfect for four years. No sign of rust, but they don't flavor the roads here in GA with salt. I have always liked the way the Hidden Hitch looks on my ST.

Get a hitch. The bumper ball will work in a pinch, but even for a small trailer towed regulary, I would want a proper hitch to keep from bending the bumper, etc.

The Hidden Hitch is identical to the U-Haul Hitch ( I think they make it for U-Haul) and you can find them on-line at times with free shipping. I have had one forover 3 years now and pull my 20 ft. travel trailer with no problems.

I have the OEM hidden hitch and I love it.

I have also never been turned away from renting a U-Haul car carrier. I tell them that I have Sport Trac - Leave Explorer out of it. ;)

Trailer = 2000 lbs

'00 Grand AM GT 4 door = 4012(ish) lbs

Total Weight = 6012(ish) lbs. :eek:

I have the heavy duty Reese Adapter and ball rated at 6000 lbs.

I had no problem hauling this POS GM product to the dealership to have a new engine put in it for my Mother in Law.

As a side note, I would like to say that I had to use my 4x4 '02 Explorer to pull an interesting combination.

My mother in law's boyfriend was determined that his 2wd dually would pull the 5th wheel trailer with the Grand Am on it, up a 10 degree muddy incline

One Word -- STUCK!!!!!!!:lol:

Explorer pulls Chevy Dually - Fifth wheel trailer/'00 Grand Am GT 4 door - about 60 feet up a muddy 10 degree incline. :wub: If I had a video camera, It would have been a Ford commercial for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: