U-Haul Petition

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to read the exact wording and rationale of the lawsuit settlement that UHaul argeed to. Obviously, it states that they will not rent to people who plan to tow using Explorers now or in the future. Period. I doubt the vague language of the settlement can be changed and I doubt it defines what an Explorer is. If it did, UHaul would realize that a Sport Trac is different than an SUV Explorer. I always summize that there is a significant monitary or legal penalty to UHaul if they ever rent to Explorer towers in the future. A petition ain't gonna do squat.

Mark K,

Why would there be a legal penalty if U-Haul rented to Explorer towers in the future? Are you assuming anyone that was ever denied in the past would then have a case?

If so, I don't see any discrimination with malice. There are protected classes that can't be discriminated (sex, age, religion, sexual orientation), but beyond that, companies can choose to sell their goods and services to whomever they want. Legally.

That may sting a little if denied service or a product, but then, I wouldn't want it any other way. Companies shouldn't be forced to sell their wares to any and everybody.

Less lawsuits, less legislation...those are GOOD things.

Jeff, others,

Don't like U-Haul's policy...boycott then, advertise their practice as unfair, give someone else the business in the meantime. IF such actions hurt U-Hauls bottom-line (moreso than renting to Explorer owners that is) then the bean counters will fix the problem.

Fight the good fight. But let's keep the lawyers out of it.

TJR

Why would there be a legal penalty if U-Haul rented to Explorer towers in the future? Are you assuming anyone that was ever denied in the past would then have a case?

There may be a clause in the settlement stating that if UHaul decides to begin renting to Explorer owners once again that the original lawsuit may be reopened or reinstituted by the plaintiffs. Or something like that.

Mark K,

What original lawsuit are you talking about?

Was there a class-action lawsuit against U-Haul by some Explorer owners that sought damages becase U-Haul rented to them or wouldn't rent to them?

UPDATE: I think I answered my own question. Seems Firestone pulled U-Haul into its class-action Explorer roll-over lawsuit, no doubt as a ploy to spread the guilt, and to try to create some confusion and reasonable doubt.

As a reaction, U-Haul simply decided to limit their future liabilities by not renting to Explorers.

So, yes, maybe they had a clause in their settlement, but that would be really stupid of them. Typically such settlements include no admission of guilt whatsoever, and no implied stance on past or future actions.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I spoze I should have been a little more specific. I was referring to the Firestone/Explorer lawsuit.

When I first joned the site in '04. There was a nationwide petition going around, from explorer owners. It went no where.:(

Consider how few Explorers and or Sport Tracs out there that might ever need to rent from U-haul, probably a small drip in the bucket to their bottom line.

Consider how few Explorers and or Sport Tracs out there that might ever need to rent from U-haul, probably a small drip in the bucket to their bottom line.

Maybe not the Sport Trac, but there are millions of Explorers out there...

I've attempted to have some discussions about the ban with UHaul dealers. They refuse to discuss anything about it. They just spit out the same canned "our products cannot be towed by Ford Explorers" statement. It's like there's a gag order in place.

Why won't people just leave this alone...... U-Haul has made the decision to not rent their trailers to owners of Explorers, or Explorer based vehicles. They are a private business, this is within their right. If you don't like them because of it, go rent from someone else. It's very clear at this point that they're not changing their mind. Someone within the company has decided our vehicles are too much of a liability for one reason or another, big deal. Its just a truck, and there are other companies to rent from. They're not denying rentals because you're white or black or Jewish or female...... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

sorry..... had to vent.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan, I agree with your vent. The problem I and I bet other members have is. u-haul is all we have around here. There are others just not local or in conveinant locations, to me. So it does create a nussaince.

That's the problem - U-haul has almost a monopoly around here too. I had to settle for a tow dolly from another company to take my Starfire to Pittsburg for the nationals.

I used to rent a trailer just about weekly from a local Uhaul dealer and since I go the Sport Trac can not rent one if it was to save my life. Kind of sucks to own the Trac in this regard since only one quad fits in the back.

Just take the badges off the truck and tell them its a 4 door Ranger or F150. Most won't know the difference, problem solved.

Latest posts