U Haul

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caymen,

Did you read Stonemiser's story about the Mercury Mountaineer? That's interesting... I wonder what their tire pressure was?

I doubt that any of us are going to change the U-Haul policy with our individual or joint actions... I doubt that even congressional intervention would have any effect! From what I've read in the financial magazines U-Haul is a family owned company and lately there's been a lot of in-fighting amongst the individual family members! Someday, there will be a buy-out and maybe logic will prevail... but don't hold your breath until that day happens. Remember that blood is thicker than water!

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oldguy, do you mean the tire pressure on the Mount? If so, they were good. It has the tire sensors in them and no lights at the time. I had my brother-in-law check it before they left out there. It was wierd though. No passing rigs, and none even around at the time. (thank god because she ended up going across both lanes when it happened.);)

What were the wind conditions? Was she exceeding the suggested speed for the trailer?

I have seen innumerable trailers being towed by all sorts of vehicles swaying back and forth because they were going to fast.

Once the swaying hits critical mass, it tries to jackknife the vehicle along with the trailer.

OK I HAD SAME ISSUE,I WAS MOVING OUT AND NEEDED THE TRAILER WHEN THEY DENIED ME, SO I WENT AND GOT MY DADS DODGE AND RENTED IT WITH THAT. AND JUST B/C I WAS SO PISSED I REHOOKED UP THE TRAILER TO THE ST AND BROUGHT IT BACK . U SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE MANAGER GET ALL UPSET THAT I WAS TOWING IT WITH THE ST. BUT THE STORY I WAS TOLD WAS THAT IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE TRANSMITION. I WAS ABLE TO GET SOME SORT OF A CORP. MANAGER ON THE PHONE, BUT ALL HE HAD TO SAY WAS THIS IS OUR POLICY. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS @!$# U-HAUL.

OH YEAH SORRY FOR THE CAPS(YELLING) AT WORK AND CAN ONLY TYPE IN CAPS

Suggested speed for all Uhaul eqipment is 45mph. They know that no one will do 45 on the interstate (Some states (MI maybe?) the minimum speed on the highways are 55. This covers thier butt when something happens. "The vehicle was exceeding the max safe speed of 45mph, which is shown on the rental agreement, as well as on stickers on the trailers that are visible on the fenders from the mirrors in the vehicle, and on a sticker on the dashboard of trucks"

Uhaul does not maintain thier equipment as well. Has anyone ever rented somethng from them that did not have a problem?? Even when I rented trailers they always had some sort of missing light/broken light cover/bald tires...

The lawsuits were from the same time as the Firestone tire problem. I guess the clients were able to "double dip" by suing Firestone and Uhaul at the same time getting more money. I don't remember when the ban took effect. I bought my first ST in 2001 and rented Uhaul trailers a couple of times after I bought it.. I would guess 2002 or 2003??

IIRC, there was more to the case. There were two women towing a U-Haul trailer over the speed limit and wrecked it. They were driving an Explorer with the Firestone tires. Something tells me they were also drunk.

It made headline news and the media was all over the fact that it was a Ford Explorer WITH Firestone tires towing a U-Haul trailer.

The judge, or was it jury, found favor in the plaintiff and U-Haul was liable.

I wonder if they hire the same "quality" lawyer as they do their equipment?

I, personally, feel sorry for U-Haul in that situation. Nowhere else in the world can you be at fault and still sue and win. Break into someones house and steal food. You can then sue the homeowners for having bad food.

Tom

Nope no wind. Actually I was wrong in my earlier post. I remember now, she was just getting to speed off the on ramp when this all happened. Not exactly sure what speed she would have been going at the time, but it couldn't have been much since she takes off like a turtle in that thing.:D;)

Around here a lot of the places that sell trailers, will also rent them. I have an enclosed 6 x 12 trailer, but I don't tow it much. I do have a question that I thought of when I heard of the pulling to the side. Is it possible for a bearing maybe to burn up or maybe something else on the trailer to cause the pulling to the side without being noticeable? That is the only sign of anything going wrong is the pulling to the side. Say you are going the speed limit the air in all tires is right. Or could the air pressure in the trailer tires, being too high or too low cause this? I know it probably a dumb question, but someone had to ask.

This is what I sent in response to the email I receive this morning!

Karen,

Thank-you for your prompt reply! I found a U-Haul competitor that would allow me to tow their products behind my Ford Explorer Sport Trac. In order to assist others I shall post that information on the Sport Trac URL. Obviously, since you have chosen to not be concerned about lost market share I feel obligated to help direct Ford Explorer customers to alternate sources of truck and trailer rentals. Further, to assist other consumers avoid embarrassment, and as a rich old guy, I may even decide to place an advertisement in a high end national publication such as Forbes Magazine. It beats the irritation I received from my local U-Haul franchise! Besides, at my age it will make me feel better!

Again thank you for your response,

A. J. Simonin :D

Now that I think about it I believe that Consumer Reports and AARP publications are better choices. Forbes is pretty upscale market! They don't run advertising for Fords and Chevys, more like Porches, Jaguar's and Mercedes! Most of their readers wouldn't tow a trailer with their Mercedes etc.!

OldGuy ;)

SeattleSportTrac,

Yes, they have a disclaimer at the bottom of their emails which prevented me from publishing their actual response... just in case they decide to go to court I didn't want to cloud my chances of winning big bucks! As an old manager I like to play by the corporate rules... it makes their attorneys think twice! :(

OldGuy

I used to wash trucks on weekends for a friend of mine years ago with a pressure washer rig on a dual-axle trailer with a 600 gal. tank. I had it one weekend, and another guy had it the next, then me, etc. One day I hooked it up and drove off to wash trucks, and it started swaying back and forth badly when I went around a curve on the freeway. That sway got so bad other drivers were pulling over to watch! I finally got it under control, and the only thing I could find that might have caused it was the front tires on the trailer both had 50 psi in them, and the back tires both had 20 psi in them! I'm not sure why that was, but filling the back tires up solved it.

And I rented a U-Haul tow dolly in February of 2003 for a trip to Tennesse, so they were still renting to us then.

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity and make it work for you. -- Frank Zappa

Latest posts