UHaul will not let me rent a trailer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked the U-Haul website. There is NOTHING there about not being able to use our vehicles to tow thier crap. They STLL show that they sell a reciever hitch for the Trac AND my wife's 2005 4x4 Explorer! They should have the disclaimer on their website and should not even sell towing supplies for any kind of Explorer if they think there's a problem!!!!!

EDIT: The onlydisclaimer they have with any SUV is that it must be a hardtop and not a ragtop for safety reasons!

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger, if you try to reserve a trailer for a Sporttrac, you get the following"

Towing advisements

This vehicle is not authorized to tow U-Haul equipment. U-Haul does not rent behind this tow vehicle. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Is there a different vehicle that you can use for towing?

However, if you enter a 2001 Mountaineer, you get the following:

Our records indicate this is a recommended towing setup; however, all towing is subject to inspection. We suggest you have your vehicle inspected free of charge at any U-Haul Moving Center prior to the date of your move.

or a 2007 Kia Rio:

Our records indicate this is a recommended towing setup; however, all towing is subject to inspection. We suggest you have your vehicle inspected free of charge at any U-Haul Moving Center prior to the date of your move.

Figure the odds.

Best part is, they have (or at least used to have, I haven't looked recently) a picture of an Explorer towing one of their trailers in their ads, both on the website and on the store walls.