UHAUL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it was part of the Firestone issue, Nothing to do with a hitch. UHAUL will not rent to an explorer. The OEM hitch is fine as long as you follow speed limits and load capacity. Period.
Thank Todd. I have new Michelin's and have read up on the weight limits and posted speeds.

just in local U-Haul today to rent a 15 foot van. I casually asked about them renting trailers to explorer drivers. the answer was any explorer 2012 and newer was ok, anything older they will not rent trailers to.

U-Haul and Ford Explorers

U-Haul will not rent trailers to owners of Ford “Explorer” badged vehicles before model year 2012 because the Gen1 Explorer/Firestone issue. They have to make it easy for their low-skilled counter employees to determine if a person can rent the trailer or not. You CAN rent with a Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Aviator, or Mazda Navajo, All of which, are mechanically identical to Ford Explorers made and sold before 2011. Since the 2011 and newer Explorers are a completely new platform (Front wheel Drive based Volvo XC90) they relaxed the rule for those in 2013. Since the Sport-Trac four-door short-bed pickup model which debuted in 2001 was based on the old 1990s’ Gen2 explorer platform which was similar to the Gen1 platform which suffered the Firestone debacle, they were included. Since these models were sold alongside the new Gen3 platform which the four-door wagon body was based on, those, too, were included because the generations overlapped, and how else were the employees able to differentiate a 2002 Explorer wagon from a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac? It had to be idiot proof. Hence, any person with a vehicle with the name “Explorer” made before 2011 is not allowed to rent a trailer. So, in summary, a very trailer capable 2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac with a long wheelbase, V8 engine, 4WD, four-wheel disk brakes, fully boxed frame, ABS, Traction Control, Sway Control and a 7,000 pound tow rating riding on Michelin tires is somehow less capable of towing anything than a short wheelbase Front wheel drive, uni-body Explorer wagon with a 2,000 pound tow rating. Or a Subaru outback or some other similar vehicle…

I’ve towed a 3-ton travel trailer safely and regularly with a 2009 V8 AWD Explorer Sport-Trac and experienced zero sway, total stability, and effective braking. It was the most stable vehicle/trailer combination I have ever experienced, ever.