Under contract in 30 days!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
I'm slimming down the lifestyle and cutting expenses in anticipation of some rough sailing ahead. I listed my beloved Miami Beach intracoastal townhouse last month due to the cost of ownership far exceeding the rental income, especially since real estate taxes have tripled in the last 5 years. I wasn't expecting much action, but got a cash offer yesterday. We negotiated and I ended up under contract for 12% off my asking price. Closing is in 2 weeks. I'm pretty sad since it was my first bachelor pad in '97, and I had dreams of retiring there with a 56 Searay, but diesel will probably be $15.00 a gallon by then anyway.....:(

Congrats. My fiance' has been trying to sell her condo on the inter-coastal waterway on St. Simons Island, GA for those same reasons. It has been on the market for a year without even a hint of action.

paul,

congrats. great that you were able to sell in these hard times.

on the other hand, sorry that you have to depart with something you enjoyed. at times, i think of selling my house in fla, but am hanging in for the long run.

best of luck

Congrats on the sale in a "sale" the stalled market of today.

Now, may I ask, What % break are you giving your Lasik patients?

I've been Jonesin' for at least the past 15 years for RK or now Lasik but every time I attend a consultation, the procedure and price has risen for my prescription!

Would you take $500per eye incliding after care visits?

j/k...Although, not entirely!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do yourself a favor... get LASEK, not Lasik. Yeah, you'll go home from the procedure with what's basically a medically-induced corneal abrasion that'll sting for a day, burn for 2 or 3 more, leave you functionally blind (able to do things like watch TV, but not reliably read) for about a week, and be slightly blurry for a couple of months as it heals... but ultimately, you'll almost certainly end up with sharper vision than you'd get from Lasik, and you'll avoid the #1 risk of Lasik -- flap complications -- because no flap-cutting is involved.

LASEK is basically a refinement of PRK, except a thin layer of cells is lifted away from the cornea before ablation, then carefully laid back over the cornea before the bandage lens is placed. I had it done ~5 years ago, and it was the greatest thing I ever did. I have a couple of friends who had Lasik, and one of them had an "incident" while the flap was being cut that left his vision in that eye permanently compromised. It's admittedly one friend out of a dozen or so who've had Lasik, but if you look at the odds of flap complications (roughly 1%, last time I checked) and realize those odds are PER EYE... well... it's sobering. Eliminate the flap, and you've eliminated the majority of things that can (and do) go wrong during and after laser surgery.

Given a choice, most opthamologists would RATHER do LASEK instead of Lasik, because it's safer, has fewer complications, and tends to produce better results... but the fact is, most people want pain-free instant gratification, and only Lasik offers that. LASEK requires a bit of sacrifice on your part, but give your doctor a few weeks, and he'll be able to give results you're likely to be more satisfied with for the rest of your life.

Seriously, though... the pain isn't unbearable or anything. You'll sleep through the worst of it, and after the first day or two it'll be more like the dull burn you feel when you're wearing old soft contacts. By the end of the first week, the pain will be gone, and your only lingering problem will be another week or two where you'll randomly lose your ability to read for a few minutes at a time because both corneas will decide to dry out and/or swell up at the same moment. And THAT can be avoided by simply doing your eyes a month apart instead of on the same day. Personally, if I were to do it all over again, I would have done THAT instead, and avoided the week or so of misery when I couldn't reliably read well enough to use my computer ;-)

Jeff- I have done LASIK, LASEK and PRK, and LASIK is my procedure of choice, as it is for about 80% of us who attended a recent meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive surgery. LASEK is basically PRK- that crinkly, opaque layer of epithelium laid back down does promote healing, but it is replaced by normal new tissue in the days following the procedure, just as in PRK. Regarding efficacy- for every study showing LASEK/PRK is better, there is also one showing LASIK is better- it comes down to what you use most and are comfortable with. Regarding flap complications, less than 0.1% of these cause any vision loss, about equal to the incidence of permanent corneal haze following PRK/LASEK, which I have seen in a few cases.

The incidence of flap complications is down dramatically due to the new femtosecond flap making lasers, the Intralase, which I use, and the Ziemer, which we just bought for our new centers in Charlotte and San Antonio. We can now precisely tailor the size and thickness of the flap, and I have made beautiful 80 micron flaps (epithelium is 50 microns) which provide the advantages of LASEK without the healing issues.

When you had your procedure, LASEK was a good way to go, but now that we have the Intralase et al, thats the gold standard. IMHO, any refractive surgeon who says that there isn't a benefit to a laser created flap doesn't have access to the laser.

Nice to see you are from Pemboke Pines. We have a house in Chapel Trail and family all over Silver Lakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts