Under Drive pulley installed !!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Well,

Got that little sucker installed today...... Took my time, and dealt with some rain on and off.

Took about 3 hours including clean up and the test drive.

I cheated and bought 10 different size belts from pepboys last night as well as some silly cone....( No one knew the exact belt to use)..

So any way, I can feel a difference in the way it idles and the steering seems slightly smoother.

Now the steering issue is due to my old crappy tensioner, I changed that too. Was easy while I had the truck apart. I also don't loose steering over 5K rpm any more !!!! MINT !!!!

I can feel a little difference on take off and the top end it is noticeable..ALSO when you rev it in neutral it definitely revs out a lot faster. So you can tell it is there. It doesn't feel like a true 15 RWHP, but it is noticeable, I would say 10 hp or so and with my truck at 5100lbs it should be hard to tell. I will have her dynoed again soon...

It is worth the time, money and effort to get one of these... I feel it was a worth wile investment, and i have no second doubts about getting this...

As far as the install, You MUST have a harmonic pulley puller and a Fan clutch removal tool.

You need grease, silly cone and a patient head when doing this. You cant just yank and pull and pry, you will break something.

You have to remove the lower splash guard, remove the clutch fan, remove the fan shroud, Upper tranny line. Then remove the pulley.

On the old pulley you must swap the front seal dust boot to the new pulley. This thing is plastic and can break. $50.00 from ford new and SPECIAL ORDER!!! DO NOT break this..

Then grease the pulley stem and neck inside and out, place a little grease on the pulley washer, Some silly cone in the key way to prevent oil leakage and install...

Holding the pulley is a PITA!!! I needed to use my serp tool to hold the pulley with bolts in it to torque it to 90lb. MY DAM impact gun would not fit in there. You may need an impact gun to remove the pulley bolt...

Re assemble everything and your all set... I changed my belt tensioner also since everything was out, and installed the new belt before the fan and shroud, Made life much easier...

As far as worth ability, I would say this is a stage 2 or 3 mod and I feel you should have your mechanic install if you only have basic tools and basic skills...

There is a group buy going right now for these, You will get them from Wayne Foy at $20 bucks less than regular price which is what I paied...

Here is the old pulley

[Broken External Image]:

Here is the new udp installed

[Broken External Image]:

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. Does it idle at a lower RPM? If so, do you think it would create any issues for people with a few mods drawing power from the battery. Definately sounds worthwhile and worth the money, but I would have to have a mechanic install mine.

Andy,

GATES k060845

Cory, The idle temp was exactly the same, the only drop was the voltage at idle, it went from 14.5 to 14.3.... In my book that is insignificant...

Turn on all your accessories, and check your voltage, If it has plenty to spare at idle, your good to go.... A sears can do a running load test for you before you install it...

I have some amps, not a lot about 600 watts, I saw no problem at all...

UPDATE :: After driving it for about 20 miles, and the computer learning again, All i can say is now the difference is kicking in. She does revout a little faster and the topend has a huge gain!!!!!....... Definitely worth it...

Todd Z

You da man Todd,

I'd be interested to see how this affects your mileage. It might be worth it for that alone.

Thanks for all the posts on this.

There is a group buy for this part sponsored by Wayne Foy.

Get in the group buy section and sign on before Feb 2.

The group buy will save you $20 from ASP's list price.

We need at least 3 more people to get this price!!

Group buy price is $275.

JK, nope....

Frank and AL, As andy said check out the group buy section, Wayne is selling them at a discounted price... Sign up...

Todd Z

I had a dream about pulling up to a drive thru, Wayne popped his head out, I said gimme a #1, and he gave me a xcal2 and a UDP for $600 with fries and a coke, then just at that moment, my mother woke me up.

What is "silly cone"?

"Silly Cone" = Madonna's boobies.

Rich is building up suspense on the project posting.

Will advanced copies that were leaked to the media sell for $0.96 cents on ebay?

Will Wfoy be opening a Performance King drive-thru?

Will Al prevail over the "Silly Cone" and defeat Sauron and his minions to destroy the Silly Cone in the fires of Mt. Doom?

"Holy performance Tracman, my stockings were pulled into that underdrive pulley!"

"Yes I see Robin, it has gotten a rise out of the horsepower, and out of me."

Tune in next post...

Same Trac site...

Same Trac thread.

Al is a friend of some one else that sells performance stuff on these and other Explorer sites. Believe me he knows what silly cone is....

I am sure he also passed on the belt info to the other seller as well...

Todd Z