unexpected scare

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Pearce

Reaction score
I have been running for quite some time on my 87 tow tune from my Xcal2. This morning I reset it back to stock and went for a drive. After about ten miles I noticed what I guess is referred to as flare. After a few miles, the flare seemed to get worse, then I saw the O/D light flashing. I turned back for home, trying to be as gentle on the tranny as possible. Wouldn't you know I hit every red light, stop and then back up to 50 mph over and over. The first thing I did when I got home was to retune to 87 enco. I took the truck for a short drive and the O/D stayed off. Can someone explain to me what/why this is happening?

Thanks

Dave

Mine did that too when I set it back to stock. I was told it may do that sometimes. I did the same thing as you did and changed it back to 93 tune and it stopped doing it.

The Trac's tranny has an adaptive learning program. When flashing back to stock, your computer is trying to learn how to shift again since the performance program was shifting it harder, but the computer was trying to shift softer. To test it, unplug the battery and replug it. It will shift perfectly.

Tom

UPn8iv,

would it run okay parked after you turned it back to factory settings? I'm eventually going to get the XCal2, but leery about turning it back to factory when I go for a sticker? has anyone had problems getting stickers with XCal2?

Why would you need to turn it to stock for an inspection sticker?

On the shifts, mine did that too when I set it to stock. The transmission shift computer is just trying to re-learn how to shift without the XCal perameters. If you were to go any kind of distance, it would be better to just reset the computer by unhooking the battery.

i think i read a couple of times in here that the XCal2 settings cut things out that will make for bad readings when you go for an inspection sticker or sometimes giving check engine lights. Just going by what i read from others on the site. I have no knowledge of it, as I look to you guys for insight.

:D

Thanks for the replies. That is what I was thinking, just relearning. Better safe, by asking here, than be sorry. While you guys were answering my question I went out for a ride on my motorcycle. I stopped by the local Ford dealer to look at the 07's. The saleman I dealt with owns a 05 ST. I told him about this site. If he gets online and is reading this, Sorry, looks like I'm going to be able to keep my 03 for quite a while longer. The 07 looked pretty nce though.

Dave

I have the XCal (not XCal2) with a 87 octane performance program. I tried leaving the program activated the first time I went for my emisisons inspection after getting it, but it failed (computer showed "not ready", even though the program had been active for months.) I also first noticed the flare problem and had the O/D light blinking after resetting back to normal. I found that after resetting the programming to factory, you need to disconnect the battery for about 10-15 minutes, and that resets everything and gets rid of the tranny problem after hooking it back up. Basically it seems like when you first go back to the factory programming, the computer doesn't completely "forget" the other programming, and tries to use both shifting programs at the same time or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they do an OBD 2 test port inspection, an Xcal tune will not show ready and you will need a tune so it reads all the sensors or the stock tune...

I had the same issues...

UP AND Dang 01, what I recommend is have a tuner give you a BASE file tune with NOTHING done except the tranny changed,.... Thats what I do and I never have a problem with inspections or the dealer...

Thanks Todd. That sounds like a good plan. Now if i can remember that when i eventually order it.