*UPDATE* Dealership woes - I assume they can't do this.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
Okay, for the sake of time, I'll make this as short as possible, but its still long. Please offer any help if you all can.

Last week, I went with my friend to a dealership in Orlando, FL. She was intersted (not planning to that day) on buying an Escape. We have an x-plan through our work, so no big deal, right? However, she wanted an 06', basic, no bells or whistles, in a choice of a few colors. There basically are NO 06's in central FL that are base models. So they start looking and find the one she wants in Indiana, but she will have to pay freight. No deal.

They then, start talking about an 07' with less rebates. Regardless, she enteretains the offer and they still don't have what she wants on the lot. No big deal. We can just go home and find happiness elsewhere. Then, the dealer brings out an invoice (with a VIN #) of the exact Escape she wants and says, "Well, we have this one that is on its way to the dealership by the end of the month. It is allocated to us, so we can sell it. Would you be interested." Again, to make this short, we ended up talking them into a hell of a deal and they gave her another Escape from the lot to drive until hers comes in. The only thing she needs to do is bring in the title to her trade in (Honda CR-V) and secure financing.

On Saturday, she drives to the dealer to bring in her title. They (3 men) sit her (1 young woman) down at a table and attack like hounds. They say "the price has changed from the factory". Apparently, because Ford has be announcing shut downs, that the MSRP of vehicles has been adjusted up. Odd, they said that the vehicle she techinally purchased was not only built already (hence the VIN number), but was on it's way to be here by the end of the month. Now, they are saying Sept 11th delivery, with higher price. They told her it was because she had one built. Hello, she didn't have it built, and even if she did, she wouldn't have a bunch of paperwork with a VIN already on it (I believe it takes a week or so to get a VIN right?)

She does have the contract she signed which she was to use for financing with the credit union. They tried to tell her that was an "estimate". I might be mistaken, but even if it were an "estimate" (which its NOT - it says sale contract) don't they need buyer approval to change it? Regardless, it does say in small print on the back that the dealership can change the contract if the manufacturer changes the price. They kept crutching on that. Did Ford change the prices? she called another dealership and they said no. I don't trust either of them.

So now, they have her trade-in, with the title. She has a loaner vehicle (07' escape from the lot) which I told her to drive the hell out of since they lose money ever day and every mile, and a contract to buy an 07' titanium green Escape. I also told her to contact an attorney and see what they have to say.

By the way, to rub salt in the wound....this is GREENWAY FORD in Orlando, FL. Their service department has been great to me, but apparently their sales department needs a lesson in morals.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol the reason why the plants are shutting down is LOW sales... Ford has a glut of cars on lots and in shipping areas right now. They should back down if she returns and demands her CR/V back.

Sounds to me like they came to an agreement over the price, not an estimate. I would certainly threaten with an attorney and demand they stick to the original deal.

If it says sales contract and they have her trade-in, and now they are changing the terms of the contract, that is pure "bait and switch", and lawyers needn't be involved. Lawyers cost money.

The local police are free. Just swing by the dealer to tell them to honor their agreement, and if they start to back peddle, grab the cellphone and call the local sherrif....and tell them you are calling the police as they are guilty of EXTORTION. Let the cops handle it out.

They will fold like a cheap suit IF all the facts are as given.

TJR

I would demand my CR-V back, and not deal with them..In my experiance, any dealership that pulls that are not worth dealing with..Usually the service and anything esle you need from them will also suck..JMO..

Although I tend to agree with Fast Eddie, I have seen sales and service depts that are NIGHT and DAY different even though in the same dealership.

I have been ripped off by service depts of dealers I got a square sales deal with, and vice-versa. At the end of the day, one's opinion is typically based most on their last interaction and our perceptions.

It's hard to walk away from a good service dept...because although "Ford Certified" should mean something and every service dept should be more or less the same, that's not the case. Inconsistancy NOT quality is what is pervasive across Ford's products and services these days! We should hook up some power generators to Henry's grave and solve the energy crisis.

TJR

Thanks everyone, for all the responses. I've given her a link to this thread so she too (if she chooses) can see what everyone says.

In response to a few of the comments - From what I am to undestand, her CR-V was on its last leg and would not have lasted long (Transmission). This is why she needed a new vehicle. We really did get her a good deal on the trade-in, which is why she really wants this deal to go through as-is. I think taking the CR-V back is the last resort option, if it is an option at all. She would really like to force the dealership to honor their agreement (contract) and hopefully in the process make some more people knowledgeable of the schemes and ploys that the dealerships are using now. Funny how they are tryign to use their downfalls as a bargaining tool.

Sad really.

I do however agree with sending a letter to corporate and letting them know that their problems are being used for profit by their dealers.

btw, I know some people have a number to the Louiseville plant to find out where their on-order vehicle is in production. Does anyone know the number to call the Dearborne plant? I sure would like to catch this dealer in their own lie.

Tom, the discussion of price was over the trade-in value. We used the trade in value to offset the cost of "destination and delivery" which I refused to let her pay. We also got them to throw in a few extras to seal the deal. We ended up getting a little over $1K more for her trade then they initially went in on.

Jenn,

The police will not intervene, she will have to report it to the local District Attorney, and she will probably need to get an lawyer to file suit.

The real problem is that most Automobile Sales Contracts have a loophole for the dealership that states that if they make a pricing error, etc...They can squirm out of the deal, and increase the price, even after the vehicle was delivered to the customer. There is a time limit, usually 5-10 days from the date the sales contract was made.

You have the right to get your old car back, and return the loaner at no charge. I would insist on getting my old car back but tell them she is reporting them to the Better Business Bureau the local District Attorney, and her attorney will look into any further legal actions that may be available. Just make sure she keeps her copy of the sales contract...That's her evidence.

...Rich

Check your email. I can't promise that the Editorial department will pickup the story but I'll pass this on...

Jeff Brown

All Headline News

www.allheadlinenews.com

The issue, Richard, is extortion. The dealer has the trade in and is unwilling to honor their deal. Whether or not they made an error is irrelavent, IMHO. Either way though, attorney or police, it's time for muscle.

I would stop by and say the following: "I need you to honor the original deal, or I need you to return my vehicle TODAY and pay me a reasonable fee for my inconvenience. Do we have a deal or should I call..."

Consider what is a reasonable fee for the inconvenience. $50/day deprived of the trade-in, plust $20/hour spent negotiating would be reasonable.

TJR

Sounds very familar. I bought an Escape the first year it came out. I went into the dealership and said I would like to order this Escape with these options. I told them their competitor would do the same and sell it to me at Dealer Invoice. They said they would match it. When the vehicle came they said it was higher price and they couldn't honor the estimate. I said BS take a look at the document your GM and I signed. Dealer cost at X (not x plan) price. If over or under the price will be X at which we agreed to. They wouldn't budge I said great. I want my deposit back. They said no. Deposits are non-refundable. I said again. Look at the paperwork we signed deposit IS refundable and I can have my lawyer shove this so far up your as* if you don't honor it or refund the deposit. They came back and said congrats you have a new car.

Too many dealerships try to rip people off.

With all due respect, what is wrong with fighting for what's right? Why walk away from a good deal because someone tries to bully you? I guess I'm not one for her walking away when she is not in the wrong. Why not stay, fight, and try to make it hurt enough so that they think twice of doing it to the next person.

Not to get stereotypical on you guys, but believe it or not, it is NOT easy for most women at a dealership (I am not one of those women). What would you do if it were your, wife, sister, mother, or even daughter? Would you just teach them to walk away like a dog with their tails between their legs? Try better next time. What if it happens EVERY TIME? Right now, there's lots of dealers that I bet do this quite often. Personally, I'm not going to take it.

For an update, my friend got a call from the guy at the dealership who begged her to believe that they were not "jerking her around" and they wish she wouldn't say anything bad about them. Ha! They are actually asking her NOT to say anything bad about them. They ganged up on her, trying to catch her at a weak point, and they don't want anyone to know. Give me a break. Is it worth the $900 for the wrath they are about to ensue? Why can't THEY just chalk it up to THEIR mistake? They sure don't care if it's the buyers mistake, but if it's theirs, they are right there to "make it right".

Not to get stereotypical on you guys, but believe it or not, it is NOT easy for most women at a dealership...Personally, I'm not going to take it.

Theresa worked at a dealership so we know how hard it is for a lady at a dealership. Fortunatly, the dealer she worked at was one of the better ones.

Fight for what is right. You and your friend deserve to be given the same fair opportunity as anyone else.

Tom

Jenn,

I don't exactly see it as "walk away like a dog with their tails between their legs?"... As I understand it, the guys are saying "Give me what we agreed upon, or shove it"... But that might be just my perception...

Fer, I agree that is how it could be seen, but the only detail left out is that there was already an "agreed upon" deal. So now my friend's answer to their "Give me what we agreed upon, or shove it" should be "Give me what we agreed upon, or regret it". Of course, this is just my opinion.

I could be completely wrong and the bottom line is it is not truly my problem. Regardless, I am getting the most priceless reward from this, knowledge.

Sadly, becuase of my positive experiences with the service dept, I was going to buy my next vehicle from Greenway, but now, they can forget mine and any of my friends or family members business. Hopefully those of you here that are in my area will also avoid dealings with their sales dept.

Given that any time I have ever worked with a sales dept all "offers" have to get approved, then reapproved, it seems to me that IF this offer went to contract that it is doubtful that a mistake has been made.

Jenn,

I know how you feel and this is the exact reason I went with my mother and sister when they recently bought their new cars. It is the point now that you want the offered price and don't care about the service or what you need to do to get it.

Why don't you call Ford customer service directly and tell them what is going on. I'm sure if they get involved it will be much quicker than any other route you would need to take. I think their phone number is 1-800-392-3673. I checked the dealer and they are "Blue Oval Certified" and will want to keep their good rating. Maybe let the dealer know you are going to call also.

I also found the name and email address of President/Principal of the dealership. His name is Frank Rodriguez and his email is [email protected].

Finally take a look at the link below. It is of the 2007 Escapes the dealer shows they have. It would be funny if they have your friends vin on their inventory if it is not built yet.

Good luck!

George

At Greenway Ford - We're Not Satisfied Until You're Satisfied!

Our Commitment To New Vehicle Owners:

* Courteously acknowledge you within two minutes of arrival

* Establish an advisory relationship between you and your sales consultant

* Offer you a test drive

* Provide you with a full fuel tank and a clean vehicle upon delivery

* Thoroughly review delivery checklist with you

* Give you an overall excellent purchasing and delivery experience at Greenway

* Have your sales consultant contact you within seven days of delivery

:D :D :D