*UPDATE* Dealership woes - I assume they can't do this.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't Ford Customer Service be brought into this ASAP? If they won't, then go talk to the local news. They always want a good story.

This is why auto makers have so much inventory--their sales practices SUCK.

I would trade cars more often if there weren't greedy salespeople who add very little value to the deal. They are more like leeches who suck the life out of the deal.

I agree to get the CRV back and tell them to stick it. You aren't walking away--you are controlling the deal by refusing to let them have the profit and credit for selling the car.

Don't put up with their poor treatment.

Jenn,

I agree with you 100%. The dealership should honor the sales agreement they made with your friend.

All I'm saying is that most dealer's sales contracts include a clause that if there is any errors, or misquotes of prices, etc, the dealer can ask you to pay the extra money or cancel the deal. That's your friends choice not the dealer's. Just read the fine print in the sales contract.

I worked at a Ford dealership and I can assure you that most, if not all dealers have that clause in their sales contracts. Generally, they only have from 5-10 days to identify the error and notify the customer. Funny thing though, is that I have never heard of a dealer calling a customer and telling them that they overcharged them for the new vehicle ;)

There have been deals made where the customer has taken possesion of the new vehicle and days later the dealer will call and say their was a mistake made on the sales contract and that the customer must pay more money or return the vehicle. The customer is required to pay for the mileage on the vehicle if they decide to call off the deal. This is similar to the way Lemon Laws work.

If your friend does not have that clause in her sales contract, then I would not let the dealer off the hook. Have your friend take them to court and ensure that the authorities know that they are trying to back out of a signed sales contract. It sounds like they are nervous about just that happening.

...Rich

State Attorney's General Office...???

Tell your (the) Dealer that you have this number/website and are willing, and not

afraid to use it!

Do NOT let the dealer intimidate you!

I did this in Michigan, for a while... liason to ripped-off customers, etc... I know the

ropes, somewhat, and the States A.G.O. will throw a "Rightful Scare" into them,

if nothing else will. Even better than the B.B.B.!

Keep all reciepts, contracts, preliminary documentation, and the like, including any phone

conversations, times, dates, etc...;)

Thank you all for the responses. They have been VERY helpful.

For another update, as a result of this thread my friend has called Ford's Customer Service and lodged a complaint. She also said they gave her a number to call and discuss actual financial details, as well as a number to call and check on the build of the vehicle. Aparrently they were very understanding and helpful (fancy that....CUSTOMER SERVICE). She checked the VIN and it turns out that the vehicle doesn't even have a build date yet but it is spec'd to be built (the dealer told her, in front of me, that it was not only built, but was on a truck and would be down here by the end of the month.....lie). She also called the State Attorney's office and left a message. I asked if she was going to call the dealer and let them know what their actions have caused, but she said not yet and informed me that our friend's husband (the attorney) is looking over the paperwork and is most likely going to make a "threatening" phone call. Based on the results of that, we have a few more plans up our sleeves.

I believe that she is torn between two options right now. She wants to demand that the same exact vehicle be transfered from another dealer and sold to her. I may be wrong, but I told her she probably shouldn't do that because it would require new papers and contracts at which time they could really screw her over. She needs to hold on to all the paperwork she currently has as it is her "evidence". The other option is to drive the hell out of that loaner. Anyone living in central FL want to drive out to vegas on the dealership's dime? I hear Escapes get good gas mileage. :D

Thanks again to everyone.

Q, as I read your post, I began to smile because I truly believe this is the first time you've attempted to offer help and not sarcasm (at least to me). First, I want to say to that, thank you. I do appreciate your reasonable views. I understand where you are coming from and [gulp] somewhat agree. However, in defense of soundling like a jerk, I would like to add that this entire thing was very amicable until the dealer began their "change of heart". There was no ill intent planned in the case of their "gracious loaner", it was not until they turned this into a who-can-screw-who harder that it became a pissing match. Granted, by playing back, makes us no better, but hey...nothing ventured nothing gained.

As for dealerships and their treatment of women, it is true, what you said, that all are different. However, the norm is as I explained it. Yes, I am sure, given the opportunity to screw every person who walked through the door, regardless of gender, the dealers, in general, would. But there is something about the male mindset that makes it more difficult to "handle" them in a dealing situation.

That all being said - so many positive things from you and your transition into a functioning, contributing member - I have to address you rolling back down the hill you seeming worked so hard to get up. Why take a punch at Tom? A rather cheap shot in my opinion and not particularly needed in this instance.

My friend called the GM of the dealership yesterday afternoon. He expressed that he "only wanted to make her happy" and said he would look over her paperwork and call her back. When he called her back he said that he was willing to "eat" the money because of the mistake. He even said it was his own fault. What a good GM he is, yeah right... He asked her to come in and sign new contracts to reflect the actual price, and they would just change the trade-in value to offset the cost and not change her price.

Last night she went to do this and didn't bring the old paperwork (oops, she forgot), so she could keep it just for her records (incase papers got lost). When she signed the new papers, she said that the cost of the vehicle went up, but the cost of her trade-in did not, yet the price didn't change....not sure where that money went, but that doesn't really matter because the final cost is on the bottom line and it hasn't changed.

So now we must ask ourselves, did Ford really up the price? or is this dealer really selling this act by having her resign the new paperwork with the new cost? Hmmmmm, I'll take the later of the choices. Amazing. I think the GM taking full blame on the "price mixup" was classic, but I guess it's his job.

The vehicle is scheduled to be in, on the lot, September 4th. We'll see if that happens and if they try to pull anything else. Hopefully not. After all, they just "want to make her happy". :lol:

My friend did say to thank everyone here profusely. As your comments (everyone's) have been enlightening and in many cases very helpful.

Thanks again!

If she made the purchase under the X-Plan, they have to use the actual X-Plan price or Ford will not honor the X-Plan.

The paperwork appears to be simple, but Ford has lots of rules which causes confusion. I bought my two Sport Trac's at the same dealership where I worked, and in both cases they screwed up the paperwork. It was so bad that almost every 2-3 months they had a new Finance Manager because the other guy kept goofing up the paperwork.

In my case I leased my 2001 Sport Trac and gave it back to them at the end of the lease and purchase my 2003 Sport Trac. I bought it using the X-Plan and they said they would waive the $250 turn-in fee. About a month later I got a bill from Ford Credit for the $250 turn-in fee. When I called the dealership, they claimed that waiving the fee only applied if the New vehicles was financed through Ford Credit. I then spoke to the owner and he assured me that they would keep their promise and pay the turn-in fee, which they did.

Paperwork goof ups are very common and it appears that Ford is pretty bad about this, but nearly all Sales contracts have the clause that allows them to change the price of the vehicle if a mistake was made. Usually it's not the selling price of the vehicle but it can and does happen. Most of the time it's a math error, or they forgot to charge you for some dealer added option, or the payoff of your old vehicle was incorrect.

...Rich

...Rich

Jenn,

The vehicle was purchased using X-Plan...correct? Was there a VIN number issued for that vehicle? Did you see the invoice for that vehicle WITH the x-plan price marked on it?

Something smells fishy. I don't think you are getting the vehicle under X-Plan.

Please email me privatly.

Tom