Update...pulling a TT to Alaska

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Nolte

Reaction score
I left a post a week ago with regards to pulling a TT across the Northern Rockies and up to Alaska. Since a few posted inquiries for pictures and info, here it is.

Bought a new 24.5' TT two weeks ago to go on Vacation. Dry weight is 4400 lbs. I suspect that the loaded weight is around 5000 lbs. Just under the Max for the ST. I added a couple of mods as sugested in previous forums. ( Thanks for all the great info guys ) I had already put on the EE sway bar when I bought the ST, but added Monroe Reflex shocks and a K&N high performance air intake ( the poor mans version, K&N Filter and a 3 1/2" spigot from a RV waste valve conected at the stock tunnel )

Headed down to pick up the TT and then off on vacation. Total miles 2214, all in the Northern Rockies. Several slopes of 8% to 11% grade for up to 6 miles. The poor ST had to really work on some of them.

Worked our way over to Whitehorse Yukon and then up to Dawson City Yukon. Dawson City is where the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898 took place. ( Our Vacation was actually a history tour of the Klondike Gold Rush.) Dawson City sits at 64.04084 deg North and 139.39317 deg West as per my GPS. It is incredable to see what was accomplished with the technology that they had from 1898 to 1920. It is also hard to believe how much damage was caused to the local ecology. Today they still extract 20 million Dollars a year worth of Gold form that area.

Worked our way back down to Whitehorse and looked around at the local Museums. Whitehorse is where the Stampeders arrived from Skagway Alaska to be transported by either paddle wheeler or Sleigh to Dawson City. 100 thousand started out from Skagway only 30 thousand arrived in Dawson City. Most turned back before getting to Whitehorse. The trip from Skagway to Whitehorse was approx 120 miles of the most severe conditions anywhere. -60 deg in the winter and over 2600 feet of elevation in the first 26 miles. Each Man had to have a ton of goods in order to enter Canada. This was what was required for one years survival in the north. It included food, mining hardware clothes and other essentials. It took most men 30 to 40 trips and 3 to 4 weeks to get all thier gear to the top of the Chilkoot pass. ( and we think we have to work hard )

Drove over to Skagway Alaska 59.51179 deg North and 135.34685 deg west. to see where everyone started out from. Skagway is now a very busy Cruise ship port in the summer months. There was 4 ships in dock the afternoon we were there. Way too many tourists in one spot for me.

Having seen what we had time to see we headed home again. We live in Fort Nelson BC so it was only a few days drive to get home.

I tried to average about 250 miles a day so as not to over work the ST.

Average milage - 10.1mpg. Not bad considering.

This only proved to me how great a truck the ST is. Next year I will upgrade my whimpy F-150 4.2l V6 to a F-350 so i can haul my ATV and not to punish the ST again. Its my Wife's truck and she wants to keep it for a few years.

I have posted a few pictures in my library of the key points to our trip.

If anyone is wanting to head North and needs info i will do what I can to help out.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tour narrative. Might be heading your way sometime in the fall to visit in Surrey, BC to visit relatives. It's way down south though.:rolleyes: Glad to hear you're all back home safe and that the ST performed well.

Latest posts