Updating SYNC on a 2010 LTD - version change list?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Michael

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
My 2010 ST LTD without the NAV system was built 1 month before production ended. I got curious this morning about my SYNC 1 version and after a few false starts with the online directions I extracted the FPN# from the display. It is AR3T-14D544-AE, which according to Ford is SYNC 1 v3.1. A check with my VIN number on the Ford SYNC site indicates that v4.6 is available so I downloaded the .zip file to my computer.

I've had no issues with the SYNC system on my ST and my newest phone did a BT pairing with no problems. I'm a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy so I'm not inclined to load v4.6 into my truck. But I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a list of changes, improvements and bug fixes for the various SYNC 1 versions. A quick search online did not turn up anything.

Went searching and couldn't find a version history. Unpack the zip file and check for a Readme or version history file.

Update: there is a list of changes to v4.4 near the bottom of this reddit thread...

Last edited:
Interesting but that is a totally different file than what I got. He shows GG1T-14D544-AB. What I got was DE8T-14D544-AD. There were no human-readable files in the zip.

The Ford list of SYNC 1 versions says the FPN number "varies depending on vehicle and region" for both v4.6 and v4.8. The Ford site did not give me a recommendation for v4.8 even though it is the latest on their printed list of versions. That may be because I don't have the NAV system on my ST or v4.8 was only for other Ford models.

In any case, I can see song names and other useful info on my radio screen from the MP3 files on USB and do not play songs from my phone so unless I run into a problem I will leave well enough alone. I was just curious. Also, I did not see any way to revert to an earlier, working version of SYNC if the upload of the new version failed.

Please post a link on how to check the FPN # and where to download updates from. I'd like to check and update my 08.

Just type "ford sync software" into a search engine. You'll see lots of links to helpful information.

Don't mean to be rude here but that's how I found all of the information I needed back in July. I did not keep the links in my browser so you'll have to be a bit more persistent in looking over search results. I don't have time to do the research again to figure it out for you. Try different search terms like including FPN.

Here is the info I researched. Hopefully this will make this thread actually useful for others.

The Ford Sync update site is here. https://help.ford.com/update-sync/

You input your VIN and it is supposed to tell you if there is an update available for your vehicle.

The instructions on how to get your FPN# are here: https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/search/which sync version do i have/

Be aware, if you have the non-Nav unit with just the CD player, the instructions on that site are not exactly correct, but the ones listed for the "Sync With My Ford" were close enough to lead me down the path. I found it under the Phone Menu, Advanced, System Settings.

The chart below shows the versions out there. My 08 has the first version listed. When I put my VIN in it does not show any updates available for it. I call the Ford help line and they confirmed. They said just because there is a higher version out, it may not be applicable to your specific radio configuration. Thus I can not upgrade my version 1.01 to 1.02 according to them.

Software VersionCIP/FPN
V1.018L2T-14D544-AD
V1.028L2T-14D544-AE
V1.19L3T-14D544-AC
V1.29L3T-14D544-AD
V1.39L3T-14D544-AE
V29L2T-14D544-BC
V2.019L2T-14D544-BD
V2.19L2T-14D544-BE
V3AR3T-14D544-AC
V3.01AR3T-14D544-AD
V3.1AR3T-14D544-AE
V3.1.1CM5T-14D544-AC
V3.1.4CM5T-14D544-AD
V3.1.6CM5T-14D544-AE
V3.2BG1T-14D544-AB
V3.2.2.2BG1T-14D544-AD
V3.2.4BG1T-14D544-AG
V3.2.5BG1T-14D544-AH
V3.2.6BG1T-14D544-AJ
V4.0CR3T-14D544-AB
V4.0.2CR3T-14D544-AC
V4.1.2DG1T-14D544-AC
V4.1.3DR3T-14D544-AD
V4.1.4DL3T-14D544-AB
V4.2.1DG1T-14D544-AE
V4.2.1.4DR3T-14D544-AE
V4.3EJ5T-14D544-AA
V4.4FJ5T-14D544-AA
V4.4FJ5T-14D544-AB
V4.4DE8T-14D544-AC
V4.4CM5T-14D544-AF
V4.4DR3T-14D544-AF
V4.4DL3T-14D544-AE
V4.6Varies depending on vehicle and region
V4.8Varies depending on vehicle and region

My 2010 ST LTD without the NAV system was built 1 month before production ended. I got curious this morning about my SYNC 1 version and after a few false starts with the online directions I extracted the FPN# from the display. It is AR3T-14D544-AE, which according to Ford is SYNC 1 v3.1. A check with my VIN number on the Ford SYNC site indicates that v4.6 is available so I downloaded the .zip file to my computer.

I've had no issues with the SYNC system on my ST and my newest phone did a BT pairing with no problems. I'm a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy so I'm not inclined to load v4.6 into my truck. But I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a list of changes, improvements and bug fixes for the various SYNC 1 versions. A quick search online did not turn up anything.
Great post, Larry. I have a 2010 Limited with Nav and was wondering what the changes are and if I should try upgrading my SYNC. But honestly, everything works fine now, and I also subscribe to the philosophy if it ain’t broke, leave it alone. The upgrade would have to have some compelling new features for me to take the chance.

2004 explorer sporttrac windshield wipers just stopped working with out any warning what do you think it is

My Ford owner page said I had a sync update available but could only be installed by a Ford dealer. I had it installed at the dealer but my owner page still says an update is available. Anyone else have this situation happen? ( I haven't gotten back in touch with my service writer about this yet as it is not a big deal)

Ford stopped supporting the updates a few months ago.... They can still be gotten? I would not touch it... LOL

My Ford owner page said I had a sync update available but could only be installed by a Ford dealer. I had it installed at the dealer but my owner page still says an update is available. Anyone else have this situation happen? ( I haven't gotten back in touch with my service writer about this yet as it is not a big deal)
Curious...what did dealer charge?
also...came here to ask about finding the RADIO ID# for sirius xm free trial....anyone know?

Last edited:
When we bought our 20089 Adrenalin, there was a disc in the glove box, that I think is for the stereo/sync system. Will have to look.

Latest posts