Upper and lowers balljoints are toast!!! Is this price good?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Guys Im under a dilemma right now. I'm at the tire shop end they are saying the upper ball joints are toast they have tons of play in them which I did verify myself. I have 66,000 miles. They will replace the lower ball joint included in the price and swap out the end link for free. Cost is 650 with Moog replacement parts all around. Is this a solid price compared with dealers or other tire shops?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are charging 40 each for the lowers. The uppers are the entire control arm so those are 150 each.

Had upper and lower ball joints replaced at the dealership in May. Total cost with parts and labor was just over $800.

The control arms (according to my service invoice) were $132 for the right and $112 for the left. Not sure why the price difference, but it gives you an idea.

To tell you the truth, I wounder if it would be better to replace the complete Upper and lower "A" Arms. Not only do you get new ball joints you also get new rubber bushings. The price seems high.:(

AL,

Your 03 should have a split upper arm on the Passenger side... That joint is dirt cheep and can easily be done your self...

The upper on the Driver side is the whole arm.......

Todd Z

They ended up doing the work for $600 at a tire shop which includes the alignment. Ford dealer wanted $950 for OEM parts. After driving back and forth I dropped it off about an hour ago.

I would love to do it but don't have the time. Plus the tools. Is it correct to always replace suspension parts in pairs?

Only springs.... Most parts just because the right is bad does not mean the left is...

IS it good practice to ?? yes..

Todd Z

Most of the Moogs I've seen do have grease fittings

I think that is a very fair price especially with the alignment.

Figure about $250 parts plus atleast $50( I've seen higher alignment charges) for alignment so $300 in labor doesn't seem bad to me.

As a general rule, Moog is a good after-market choice. It is a good product and normally does have a means to grease the item.

STCTC, The right one is adjustable hence the higher cost I'm looking into doing mine and thats what my parts guy at ford, and the mechanic said.