Upper oil pan gasket

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou M

Reaction score
Noticed a small oil stain on my driveway. Cleaned up the bottom of the engine and am not sure if it is the upper or lower pan gasket. Seems to be coming from the back of the engine though.

Anyways, bought a lower pan gasket to replace this weekend. While I was there, I asked the service tech what the cost would be if the upper pan gasket needed replacing. After looking in is book, he indicated that the engine needed to be pulled in order to change the upper pan gasket. And that the labor alone was $800.00. I mentioned that I have 2WD not 4. "Didn't matter" he said.

When I was under the car cleaning the oil, it seemd to me that the upper oil pan could be removed without pulling the engine. Anyone out there changed the upper pan gasket? Is it that difficult? Does the engine really need to be pulled?

When I purchased the lower pan gasket, the parts guy brought out the upper first and we took a look at it. It had the lower seals attached to the front and rear of it as part of the gasket.

'02 Sport trac, 2WD, Auto, 65K miles.

Thanks

Lou...

Be sure it is the bottom of the engine, The valve covers have an issue of the breather system tubes leaking..

Todd Z