USA Today Review

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris G

Reaction score
Found this review online

<a href="http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-05-04-sport-trac_x.htm">

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-05-04-sport-trac_x.htm</a>

Thanks for that post ChrisGa

Does anyone know what they are talking about in this USA Today report regarding different handles that will be coming out in june? I am ready to buy soon, but not sure if I should wait now or not

Ford always has marketed the Sport Trac as an Explorer model because studies showed that people would pay more than if it were sold as a Ranger crew-cab pickup. Explorer and Ranger shared some basic hardware back then, though not today.

Hmmmm....

"Sport Trac has, hooray, conventional front door handles — finger cups scooped out of the arm rests — not just the low-mounted straps that make the doors so awkward to use on the Explorer. But don't expect those good handles on Sport Tracs until July, when the regular Explorer should get them, too."

What does he mean by "straps"...?

The "straps" being referred to are the door handles. Look at some of the interior pics of the '07 and you will see that the door handle is mounted low and at an unusual angle. It is not a good design. I found them awkward to use. My wife could not generate enough "power" to actually close the door. (The ST is quite "tight" and the door is heavy.) There are going to re-design this and add an indent (to the top of the armrest I believe) to make it easier to close. Should show up by mid-summer.

Here is my favorite part:

"Who'll buy? Typical is a man in his late 40s or early 50s with average annual household income of $60,000, Ford says."

Hmmm, I don't fall anywhere in that "who'll buy?" category. Wonder how much was spent to come to that conclusion? More importantly, how many decisions were based on that useless little pearl of wisdom?

But, the decision to fix the door handles is a good one. How the other ones ever made it to production is a mystery... Surely at some point someone actually sat in a design mockup and closed (tried) the door, and I'm certain they grabbed for the armrest looking for something to hold onto and found much to their surprise that no handle was there. :unsure:

In my area I see more females driving ST's than males and generaly are 35 to 50 and white. It kinda botherd me that I might had purchased a glorified grocery getter and soccor mom mobile at first. I the end though I dont care as I just like it anyways. Many have mentioned the ugly grille but after going to see one upclose and personal they dont look as bad as the pictures look. I would love to have a new one but finances dont allow that option at this time. Alas I dont meet any but one of thier criteria in there demographics. (Male).

Y'all would be surprised that the common customer is 30/$75K/serious rel'ship (NOT engaged).

:p

Not a bad review however he never did mention the electronic stability control... Or did I miss it ??

...Rich