Use the 2WD shock or the 4WD for the sport package????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If I have a 2WD sport package that is the same height that the 4WD. What should I use the shock for the 2WD 911177 monroe reflex or the 4WD 911122????

In the monroe internet page they don’t specified if you have a 2WD sport package or not. For them is the same but for me is not because the 2WD sport package have the same height that the 4WD. Any suggestions????

IF you have a 2wd you can use either the 2wd or 4wd...

IF you have a 4WD you MUST use the 4wd shock....

If not, this can happen...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

What happen was than when I changed my front shocks only last me 3 month and I think it is because of the height of my 2WD sport package that it is the same height that the 4WD.

Like Todd said. There is no difference in the length of travel of the 4x4 or 2 wheel drive shock. The difference is the bottom of the shock. The 4x4 style needs a "tapered" end that will clear the front output shaft (or you get what happened to Todd, the shaft puts a wole in the shock due to it rubbing against it during turns). The 2WD doesn't (no shaft to worry about). I think the problem you have with the shock is that you are now using a stiffer shock. When you are on a rough road, it's going to bouce around on you, especially when there is no weight in the back end. To stop this, you need a softer shock to absorb the "bounce". Mine does the same thing with the RSX's, but I used to drive a Toyota PU and that things shocks never flexed. Off-roading was fun. No problem getting the rear end around with it.:D;)

But for the first 3 month felt great.

The measurement for the monroe reflex

For the 2wd comp. lenght 11.625 Ext. lenght 18.000 Trav. 6.375. Part number 911177

For the 4wd comp. lenght 13.625 Ext. lenght 18.000 Trav. 4.375. Part number 911122

So there is a difference.

The only way you are going to "feel" that difference is if you let the suspention extend the whole way down. (IE: the front wheels come off the ground) Other than that, the shock piston is going to still be in the "comfort zone" of the shock. I really doubt you will see a difference by using a 4x4 shock. Try going with a different brand of shock. Evidently Monroe's don't agree with you.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My '04 ,4x2 came with 4x4 shocks on the front. The rancho rsx replacements were the same. I have no problems with them.

The rancho rsx is the same as the monroe reflex.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first ST was sport pack, convenience pack and all the rest of it. No difference than non sport other than accessories. It's a two wheel drive. Put the specified shocks on it. Sport package does not mean you can drive it like a 4x4. I suspect Monroe website doesn't specify because they figured they didn't need to specify you use the 2X part for the 2X truck. ;)

Latest posts