V8 Throttle Response Recalibration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoNiE

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this throttle system recalibration on a 4.6?

From the F150 Forum:

"I had the same problem on my 08 Limited 5.4 when I bought it 2 months ago. Here's what I did to fix the problem. Turn the key to the on position but DON'T start the engine. Now press the gas peddle to the floor SLOWLY and let it come up/back as fast as you can, turn key to the off position. Now do this two more times. "

Seems that this recalibrates the Zero as they drift/slip/shift over time.

I also recently saw an ad in a magazine for something you connect in-line with (electronic) cable that connects to the gas pedal. Can't see how that would improve throttle response unless it re-scales or re-curves the voltage from the Rheostat? Initial boost in voltage, perhaps? Has anyone here tried one of these things also? I have an XCal, but it does nothing for throttle response.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I just tried this and ran and got an Iced Tea. Seems to have worked somewhat. I'll report back later after my drive home.

I also found reference to this in the Crown Vic and Mustang Forums.

Procedure I used:

1. Turn Ignition to "ON" but don't start engine.

2. Slowly press gas pedal all the way to the floor (I took about 3-4 sec).

3. Release pedal quickly (yank back your foot).

4. Turn off Ignition.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times.

YMMV, JWID.

There was some commentary about how long you take to push the pedal down. One guy said it worked better when he did it over 4 seconds instead of 10 the first time he tried this.

There was more about loosening the gas pedal bracket bolts and pulling it as far out as possible, but I didn't try that yet.

Interesting this has not come up here in this forum before, and if it did, I couldn't find it.

I haven't tried this, but when I got my SCT tuner and had a program written for my Trac, the throttle response improved. It went from the Trac deciding when it needs to go when I press the pedal to just doing what my foot tells it to do.

What were the parameters of your tune? I have a Performance tune that seems to have better response, but the transmission strategy was nuts.

For several years the disproportionate pedal response at low speeds drove me nuts!! Now it is fixed...thanks for posting this.

Steve

I always do this about 1 time a month........

I did 5 seconds...... repeated 3 times.... so 4 total.

Todd Z

I did the recalibration thing on my Sport Trac today and it did improve the throttle response......thanks for the info,

Will this also work on the 6 cylinder version??