Vacation info ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
We have a week off towards the end of August. We cant decide on where to go if anywhere.

We want to go somewhere but we know that staying home and doing local stuff is the more economical way to go.

Anyway we were considering these places. Keep in mind that we have a 4 yr old. If it was just me and my wife it would be easy but we have to consider that he needs stuff to do also. We live in NYC and would be driving.

- Atlantic City, NJ (not a bad drive from NYC)

- Virginia (Richmond or another area) (Kinda a long drive)

- Lake George, NY

- Niagara Falls, NY (both long drives for a 4 yr old)

Any opinions on any of these places?

Thanks!

Maine, Hershey PA, AC is awesome, Lake George is nice, but don't know about a 4 year old there....

Out here on the island are some great parks, the carousel, Towns and things to walk around..... The aquarium, splish splash, game farms, animal farm, ADVENTURELAND, children's museum by the coliseum, and ecology centers,.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyO,

Having been stationed in Washington, DC two times for nearly 5 years, I think DC is a great place for a family visit. There are all the national monuments to see, Arlington National Cemetery (Free), The Smithsonian Institute (Free), Aero Space Museum (Free), and there is always the National Zoo (used to be free years ago?). There are numerous Civil War, and other Historical sights nearby.

Parking in DC is terrible, but I'm sure you are used to that in NYC, but you can always stay in one of the suburbs and take the Metro into the city for sight seeing.

If it were early October, then I would recommend a trip to the Shennendoah Valley, VA, which is only about 100 miles west of Wash, DC. You could aways go through western PA and stop at Gettesburg, PA, or Valley Forge, etc.

If you like the Beach, you can always make a side trip from DC down to Ocean City, MD and enjoy some Crabcakes, and take in some sunshine.

Not too far south of DC is Williamsburg, VA and they also have Kings Dominian amusement park.

There is so much along the east coast, all within a few hundred miles of NYC that it I could go on and on....and I'm sure many others will chime in with their favorite spots. But for a family oriented vacation, it is very hard to beat Washington, DC

....Rich

John, skip AC and go to Cape May. Much more family oriented(historical) old B&B's, great restuarants, beautiful beaches, shopping, etc. And Wildwood and Ocean City are just a bit north.

Williamburg, VA was plain awesome! The history, Jamestown settlement, Yorktown plus Busch Gardens amusement park and some great golfing!! Plenty of restaurants.

Washinton is great if you are into all the history and museums and monuments. Not sure how a 4 year old would handle it. You can use Metro(buses) to get around town cause things are a bit spread out.

JMO, hope you have a great time wherever you go, but take pictures and post 'em. Bob

Is the boy (or either of his parents) baseball fans? If so, head to Cooperstown. Great baseball-related stuff to do (not just the HOF), plus it's a great area to visit even without baseball. I'm nowhere close to it geographically--but I know my 5- and 4-year-old sons would have a blast there were I able to take them...

wow, some good ideas. I will investigate these with my wife.

thanks guys!

JohnnyO,

My mental error when I said that you could go to the beach at Ocean City, MD...That's probably way to far...I meant to say that you could go to Chesapeake Beach, MD..which is much closer. Many years ago they used to have a small amusement park there with a number of kiddie rides.

Whatever you decide, have fun :banana:

...Rich

We went to Niagra Falls last year and loved it. We did a guided tour of the US side and the next day did the Canadian side. They got you in past the big lines and went to all the neat places and the tour guides were excellent. The last day we were there we drove to the Canadian side and went to the city of Niagara By The lake....very nice town. We also checked out an old British Fort...i think it was Fort George? The folks were real nice.We also stopped at Sophia's in Buffalo on the way back(the restaurant was on Triple D)!

I'd recommend it.

'07 ST