Valve Body rebuild (Save our Trani's)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Reynolds

Reaction score
As posted previously, my trani is showing very early signs of the dreaded 5R55E problems. I'm looking into doing some things to avoid major problems down the road. I've talked to a mechanic friend of mine and his trani guy and all I'm going to say is I want to try to work this out on my own.

I'm looking into doing a VB rebuild, sounds scary but it really doesn't seem all that bad. The plan is to put in the Ford VB update kit, seperator plate with bonded gasket and select parts from either a Superior or Transgo shift kit. I may replace the solenoids while I'm at it and I think I am going to install that remote filter as well (can't hurt).

These kits are designed to address the specific issues that plague our transmissions. The root of all evil starts with this valve body and these updates should help preserve an otherwise good transmissions.

Some of my research has brought me to the Explorer Forum and they have an extremely detailed project that walks you through all of the details and everyone that has tried them has had success. Plus it will give me a reason to buy that SK torque wrench I've had my eye on. ;)

It has been described that all 5R55E's should have this done even if they are working fine. So what do I have to loose? Has anyone tried these kits, they are not the performance ones but the "shift correction" ones? Sorry for the long post.

TimR...what is the cost of this Kit ? I have modified and replaced a few trans valve bodies myself...

About $35 for either kit, $15 for the separator plate, $20 for the Ford update kit which may not be needed with the Transgo kit.....rebuilt VB that doesn't chew up your trani hard parts...priceless :p

I forgot to mention I'll get the updated solenoid bracket and the double lipped reverse solenoid gasket as well. It will also require new filter, pan gasket and fluid but none of these parts are expensive.

The only thing that can start to add up is if you replace the solenoids. They are roughly $100 for the EPC, $20 for S1 - S4 each and I don't know the price for the TCC solenoid. Oh, and $88 for my SK torque wrench from etoolcart.com :wub:

The other guys say that this should be a very leisurely 5 hour project.

If there is enough interest I would be willing to make this a project for this forum. There is alot of information on the net already but it's not laid out in a very organized manner.

I now have no doubt that anyone with good mechanical skills can do this upgrade.

Access to a tourque wrench (in/lbs not ft/lbs) and a T-30 socket are the only specialty tools that are required.

Let me know.....Tim

Here is the link that was posted last year some time. I believe there is enough information to do the valve body swap, includes pix.