Valve Covers Seaping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been lurking and learning for many years. I have a 2003 Sport Trac which I bought new in 12/02. It is 83,000 miles on it. I have been smelling oil for several weeks, but could not find a lead. Finally, I noticed a wisp of smoke from under the hood after I had stopped after a short trip. I opened hood and noticed it was coming from the left exhaust manifold where the oil had seeped from the valve cover seal. I called the independent garage that I have used and they estimate $350 to replace both sides. I finally got an estimate from the dealer. They want $850 for not only replacing both valve cover seals, but also the intake manifold. He said that they might as well do that while they have everything off. I used to do a lot of my own maintenance, but age is catching up and I just do not feel like it. I believe in that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would do this job, but the truck is by only running vehicle at this time. (Several other projects waiting.) I have searched the board for anything on the valve covers, but did not find anything. So, I am asking for advice and opinions.

Many thanks,

Steve

If the valve cover gaskets are leaking then get them replaced. No need to do the intake manifold gasket at the same time...I'm confused as to why they even said that.

Some of the folks here have talked about that. One guy said that it took him about three hours. there is too much plumbing over the cover for me to fuss with. When another "ship comes in" I will have a younger guy do it. The shops around here want $150. That seems about 2 hours time. I only replace what it broken. m2c Ed

Man, I wish a lot of members lived closer to me........ LUNCH and a few bucks goes a long way.... LOL

Todd Z

Me 2, are you in Hawai'i?

My 02 drivers side valve cover gasket is leaking. 145k miles. Taking it in next week for the valve cover gaskets. Way too much stuff on top of and surrounding these for me to even contemplate. Well worth it to have a pro do it.

Ranger, it is easier than it looks. I could do it in 1hr........

Just have a system of tear down. Lay components out, dont throw them in a pile.

I say: take it to your independent garage, mine were done at 175.000 and cost me $350. Only if you have the proper tools, garage, time and extra vehicle then DIY.

Latest posts