Very confused

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Lamb

Reaction score
OK i have absolutely no idea what is going on with my sport trac. I will start from the beginning a couple days ago i started to hear a high pitched noise inside my truck it is definitely electrical, its no super loud but enough to annoy the hell out of someone i thought it might have something to do with my new speakers or head unit but i turned the unit off and still had the sound, then i realised that whenever i would apply the break the noise goes away and will then come back whenever not constant. I know its not the breaks or anything like that its definitely electrical anyone have any idea? could it maybe be some sort of faulty ground?

I used to have this high-pitched whine that occurred around 35-45MPH, about 2500rpms (and accelerating). It really sounded electrical so I was convinced it was like my stock audio system or alternator going bad.

Dealership blamed it on my aftermarket intake (Volant) but I disregarded this right away. Then I heard someone's video clip on here which claimed to have this whine due to an aftermarket intake as well. Then I remembered all these posts about a "whistle" noise occurring after installation of a K&N intake. I was 80% convinced then that it was actually my intake. Then recently I had to disassemble my intake to clean some parts (EGR valve and IAC) and put everything back together. Since then the noise has gone away. Now I'm 100% sure it was aftermarket intake related.

The only reason I didn't associate the noise with my intake is because it didn't make the noise right after it was installed. It started making it thousands of miles later. You have an aftermarket intake?

no i do not and its not as much as a whistle as a high pitched hum i don't really know what to compare it too but its kind of like radio interference kinda i really feel stupid describing this noise but its driving me crazy

try this link, if the noise started after the new radio and speaker insall, i would look there first.. you may need a noise suppressor on the power wire for the new radio..

troy

For some reason I missed the part in your post about new speakers and headunit. I'd suspect bad wiring in that case. I've seen it happen before with the resulting high-pitched whine (reason why I never suspected my intake).