Very Strange issue the other day

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
I went out to start up the ST in the afternoon to head out to mother’s house for Turkey day. I Start up the ST and it is running horrible, sounded like it was missing, running on about 3 cylinders, would not idle, had to keep pumping the gas pedal, etc. Then I see this HUGE cloud of smoke coming out of the exhaust, and it just keeps pumping out smoke, then oil starts coming out!!!!

So I back it out of the garage as I have filled my garage with dense smoke, my wife is freaking out, thinking I am going to blow up the house, and myself, my 4 year old son thinks it is the coolest thing ever. So I turn it off and try it again, same thing happens, now I am starting to get a little ticked off. Oil is dripping out of the exhaust pipe, so I back out my wife's car and proceed to take everything out of the ST and load up her car. Before we leave I decide I want to move the ST back into the garage, IT STARTS UP JUST FINE... LIKE NOTHING EVEN HAPPENED... What the heck is going on with this thing??? I have been driving it everyday since turkey day with no problems, other than getting a nail in my tire fixed and the tire shop telling me my front hub is bad, and causing the vibration I had been feeling. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow for the hub issue but how do I explain what happened with the motor?

Sorry for the long rant, but I cannot believe how the ST ran then all the sudden it is fine.

I love my ST and want to keep it for a long time, but geez these problems are just crazy.

It is one of thse ECU glitches. It will happen to everyone at least once in the life of their Trac. When it happens, just turn it off, wait a mintute or two, then restart. If it continues, then you do have a problem...

Many people have had this happen. We call it the ST gremlin. It will likely never happen again.

Wow I have been a member here for years and never heard of this issue before.

Thanks for the info. As usual the ST website comes through again:D

I've had it happen a couple of times with my '03 Adrenalin.

Ford dealer couldn't find any codes and everything was OK.

It scares and angers you when it happens, though!

My 02 had done this twice in the 2 years I've owned it. First time the problem simply "disappeared", the second time it did it, I disconnected the battery to reset the computer, and it has run fine ever since then.....knocking on wood right now:blink:

I've heard of it, never had it happen to me thank God. If it ever does happen to me, regardless of my knowing about it, I will $h!t egg rolls.

Latest posts