voltage regulator keeps burning out

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas DeMarco 2

Reaction score
got a 05 and i just burnt out my 3rd alternator and each time it was the regulator. this time it happened in less than 2 months. i lose all the gauges radio and windows when the truck is running and my scangauge is saying 16-18 volts. why do i keep on burning out regulators???

Should be getting about 14.2 volts out of the battery when charging. How old is the battery and is it good?

Like Gavin says what are you using for an alternator. Stay away from the cheap brands that offer lifetime warranties such as Duralast, Ultima, Autolite or any "house brand". For alternators I like Visteon or Denso, I don't remember ever having an issue with either one

ALSO check the wiring connectors and plugs........

Bad connections on alternators will burn them out...

ALSO did you check the voltage with another tester to make sure the scan Gauge is right ??

Todd Z

the first one i have was from napa and it lasted like 14 months then this one i got was shit and only lasted 2 months so now i'm gunna just buy a brand new ford one and see what happens.

the battery is a ford battery and it's a lil over a year old

i did use a different tester and it matched the scangauge

Check rockauto.com for the new alt, the pricing wasn't too bad IIRC.

On another car I went through rebuilts once a year until I got fed up and put in a new one myself. It happened 3 times, along with a dead die hard battery each year, but the electrical system always checked out "okay".

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts