VW Touareg?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
My sons are getting bigger and the wife wants to leave the minivan behind and get back into an SUV. We had the Lexus GX470, which I hated due to an unsolvable drivetrain "thump" (Lexus gave us $1000), so I'm thinking German- Porsche Cayenne just too ugly, Audi a bit odd, maybe the Touareg will work? Any thoughts?

The Touareg is a rebadged Porsche Cayenne...or is it the other way around?

Drive them all. Maybe even try out an Expedition. She may like that larger size. I know the traffic on Duval street is bad, but you never go down there. Other parts of the island is not that bad.

Tom

VW has kind of gone down hill over the years. For the price of the Touareg you could get an Infinity FX. Or if you want to find something similiar in size but at least 10k cheaper I suggest you look at the Toyota RAV4 or Mazda CX 9.

My cousin has a Touareg, he lives in the PA snowbelt up off of I-80. He likes it. VW shows up badly in quality surveys but several people I know who have them have never had any problems.

VW shows up badly in quality surveys but several people I know who have them have never had any problems.

JohnnyO,

This surveys usually rate it problems per 100 vehicles. If one or two are plagued with thousands of issues, a few bad apples spoil the whole batch.

The opposite is true also. Lets say another manufacturer has two small problems per vehicle, but they ignore those problems because they think their brand is the best, the survey says how great it is.

Tom

I own an '02 Jetta TDi and LOVE IT. Yes, VW has its issues, but is making strides and learned their lesson from letting quality control get away from them with all the outsourcing they allowed up until a few years ago. But I think the Toureg is over priced for a 5-passenger SUV. If I owned one, it would only be the diesel. But I won't pay that much for an SUV.

PS - enjoy my hometown! Skelly/Harris family here!

Last edited by a moderator:
the audi version is also nice, even with the v6 it is pretty quick. they are both a little expensive though, also, you may want to double check if they require premium gas.

Personally, the japanese crossovers dont do much for me, but you may want to look at some of them.

good luck,

Latest posts